Do I have an email virus? Hotmail.

Muckleface 18:55 04 Dec 04

I've had this email sent to my hotmail inbox three times in the past 2 weeks. It looks like something/someone has been trying to send emails from my hotmail account but they are failing?

Norton and AVG don't detect any virus's, so any ideas what it could be?

Could of email below

From : Mail Delivery Service postmaster@henderson.inet.fi>
Sent : 04 December 2004 09:33:41
To : jordan (have deleted my email address)@hotmail.com
Subject : Delivery Status Notification

| | | Inbox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment : attach4 ( 0.01 MB)

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
apply@pp2.inet.fi; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

Remote MTA 10.16.13.53: SMTP diagnostic: 550 Invalid recipient:
apply@pp2.inet.fi>

august@pp2.inet.fi; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

august@pp2.inet.fi>

axel.groschke@pp2.inet.fi; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

axel.groschke@pp2.inet.fi>

bengt.sundqvist@pp2.inet.fi; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

bengt.sundqvist@pp2.inet.fi>

BENNYO@pp2.inet.fi; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

BENNYO@pp2.inet.fi>

It continues on like that through the entire email, I would put it all but theres a charecter limit on these forums.

Any ideas?

Jordan

Diodorus Siculus 18:59 04 Dec 04

I don't think that you have a virus (but do a scan to be sure) - more likely someone who has your address in their contacts list is infected and the "from" field has been changed to your address.

Cook2 21:10 04 Dec 04

Download and run both Avast cleaner click here and Stinger click here if there is a virus one or other will find it and kill it for you.

prof9456 17:51 05 Dec 04

you say you have norton and avg! do you have a firewall on any of them? if so is it enabled as it looks like someone is using your computer or your email account to try and send emails. If this is the case, you could unknowingly send Illegal emails. If your firewall is enabled then notify Hotmail of your findings so they can trace the culprit.

Steven W 18:09 05 Dec 04

1) If you have AVG and Norton installed remove one of them. Not a good idea to run more than one scanner.

2) prof9456 is being alarmist. Chances are nothing is amiss and Diodorus Siculus is correct.

Muckleface 20:16 05 Dec 04

I've run virus scans on Norton, AVG (its only the trial version, downloaded it specifically to scan for this current problem), Avast and Stinger. None of them found anything except AVG finding 'Byte/Verify' which I've had before and am not concerned about.

I've got the standard windows firewall and also have a firewall on my router (DHCP Server:Enabled, NAT:Enabled, Firewall:Enabled) so no worries there I dont think?

Is it worth me emailing hotmail? Can they check things out?

Jordan

Diodorus Siculus 22:38 05 Dec 04

In my opinion there is little or no point in getting in touch with hotmail - things should sort themselves out pretty quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…