Do I have a dodgy fan?

Ironman556 23:06 15 Sep 03

Hi all hopefully a quick question.

A week or so ago I noticed a slight 'clicking' noise coming from my PC. I got around to opening the case up, suspecting a fan was hitting somthing. I think I've tracked the fan, an AKASA 80mm, and when I spun it there seemed to be a slight wobble, but not enough to hit the sides.

On further inspection (don't know how I though of this) I found that the fan blades (the whole bit that spins) would pull forwards about 1 cm, but doesn't come off.

I have another fan exactly the same directly below , but from a different dealer and the blades sit firmly on the rest of it and don't move.

Does it sound like somthing's broken off to let it move and is there anythign I can do?

Thanks, Ironman.

Belatucadrus 23:10 15 Sep 03

Sounds very much like it, any high speed fan with that much play in the spindle is not healthy. As to what to do, change it ASAP.

Ironman556 23:19 15 Sep 03

Thanks I'll get another ordered before it goes flying around my new PC. The only reason I asked was because it seem to come to a certain point then stop, and I wondered it that's how it was manufactured.

AMD 4 ever 08:52 16 Sep 03

sounds like the bearing has gone. Best to replace asap as per previous threads.

Ironman556 00:45 18 Sep 03

Informed overclockers, they've sent me details about returning it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…