Do i have to change case if i want to change psu?

SpyMan²°°­­³ {:o)){--< 15:10 30 Jan 04

If i wanted to change my psu to a higher capacity, eg...from 350w to 550w...would i have to change my case or can i just fit the psu to the computer in place of the lower powered one?

The reason i ask this will become clear if you read this post.... click here

961 15:57 30 Jan 04

No you wouldn't have to change the case. In any case (sorry) you shouldn't go tinkering while the unit is under warranty

I have to say I don't think you should worry about this. Manufacturers don't put PSU units in that won't cope although I accept that those who build their own do tend to allow a large margin.

stlucia 16:02 30 Jan 04

Have you got your new PC yet? Do Mesh allow you to specify your PC build? If "no" and "yes" in that order, why not ask them to put in a higher rated psu?

leo49 16:07 30 Jan 04

I bought a Mesh 2½ years ago and that came with a 300w PSU and happily coped with 2 HDDs,2 optical drives,etc,etc.

When I rebuilt that PC a short while ago into a new case to use as a back up machine,I made the mistake of replacing the PSU with a 400w Q-Tec[because they're cheap] and the noise level is now pretty horrendous- about 3 or 4 times as loud as the Antec Truepower in my new machine.Which leads me to believe that when it comes to PSU's you get what you pay for and cheap means nasty.

georgemac 16:45 30 Jan 04

I agree with leo49, quality is much more imortant than power rating. mesh must be happy the 350 watt psu is up to the job, they don't want to be replacing psu's under warranty - it would lose them money.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 01:20 08 Feb 04

so if i decided to keep everything the same in a pc with a 360w psu....and replace it with a 550w psu....it would be a straight swap???

georgemac 08:54 08 Feb 04

yes, but you will invalidate the warranty by opening the case and swapping the psu.

If you are still going for a mesh, why not ask them if they will fit a higher rated psu.

I think the psu they fit will be fine, unless you are going to chain a lot of usb devices to it which will be taking power from the motherboard.

even if you are doing this, you can buy an externally powered usb hub.

MESH Support 10:46 09 Feb 04

Please only tinker with the internal workings of your PC if you are comfortable with what you are doing.

We operate an open case policy which allows the customer to upgrade their PC from day one if they wish. Please note our warranty would only cover the parts we supplied, and you must be very careful not to damage any of the existing components whilst upgrading. I would also recommend that when you receive your new PC, that you use it for a short while to ensure that it is niggle free before upgrading.

By-the-way, unless you have grand aspirations for the PC, 550w is quite excessive for typical home use. The cheaper versions of this wattage of PSU can be quite noisy, so if you are dead-set on this, make sure you invest in a good name. Maybe take a look at some of the websites dedicated to quietening your PC that are out there.

MESH Support 10:47 09 Feb 04

Davey

Mesh Support

Quiller. 11:18 09 Feb 04

Nice to see Mesh support contributing.

If you do decide to go ahead, then the process is very simple. Write down all the connections from the the psu unit. The main ones will be the power connector on the motherboard, the power to your h\d's and optical drives ( red power lead always to the red stripe) and your floppy drive.

Then unclip all the power leads. Take out the 4 screws at the back of the psu ( hold psu with last screw so it doesn't drop) and take out old psu.

Fitting is just the reverse.

Good luck if you go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now