Do I have 2 HDD?

wrg 18:20 02 Jan 09

I have just purchased an Acer Aspire M3201. When settting it up I went to My Computer. In the hard disk drive section is states Hard Disk Drives (2).
Acer (C:) Data (D:). C has the windows logo and D no logo. D states 169gb of 170 free and C 98 of 113 free. Do I have two disk drives or is D a partition of C, if not why would there be 2?

Thanks

wrg

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 02 Jan 09

Go into disk management
right click My computer - manage - storage - disk management

It will list the disks as Disks 0 1 2 etc, if only one disk it will show it partitioned there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 02 Jan 09

I would suspect a 320G sata drive partitioned in two.

wrg 18:48 02 Jan 09

Fruit Bat

Thanks for your reply. It only shows disk 0 and it split between C & D. What is the purpose of D: If I was to load software would it automatically store on D as C does not seem to have much left

MaxUpload 18:51 02 Jan 09

Looking at the specs of your machine Fruit Bat /\0/\ is correct.It is a 320gig Sata drive but
having owned a couple of Acer machines I see the same configuration on this machine as the others.

One drive with "Three" partitions.

Acer C - Windows etc.

Data D - The other stuff

A hidden recovery partition ,which incidentally cannot be accessed via Disk Management.

MaxUpload 19:01 02 Jan 09

wrg - sorry but I missed your last post - typing!

The C partition contains your Windows OS plus drivers etc plus system stuff.You are right in saying there is not much space left.

By default any software you install will want to plonk itself in the C partition.

You will have to get into the habit of changing the default C to D by changing the default destination directory set by the software.Open your D drive,create a folder and call it say "Programs" and before you install any software create another folder within "Programs" in the name of the software you are installing.When you install that software change the default directory to the new folder.

Pineman100 19:07 02 Jan 09

Not much free space on C:?

I read wrg's original post as saying there's 98GB free out of 113GB.

If that's correct, I would allow software to install itself on C: and use D: for data.

wrg 19:29 02 Jan 09

Thanks all for your quick responses. What happens if I use the 98 of 113? do I then move to D, it just seems like D is rather big, what is best to install on? Can I ask you great people another question. There will be 5 people using this computer and i have set up each with their own user account, 1 with true administrator rights. Each have their own files and software, how can I install software (ie like a game for my son) that only shows in his user profile and not others?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017