Do flickering monitor screens last longer ?

Alryan 15:44 18 Sep 03

My wife's hobby is buying things on the Internet. After she complained that the screen was flickering so much that it made shopping online a misery, I altered the Refresh Rate settings to the highest available value on this monitor. Can I expect the equipment to wear out quicker because it's working harder and using more energy ?

Diemmess 17:35 18 Sep 03

I believe running a faster refresh rate than the monitor can sustain is heading for trouble, but if the monitor is going to give up just because it cannot take a sensible refresh rate, then perhaps your lady should be shopping for a better monitor anyway!

Tog 17:41 18 Sep 03

If the refresh rate is within the monitor's specification you shouldn't have a problem.

Generally 75Hz and up will avoid headache/eyestrain.

Tell her not to sit in front of the monitor for too long as it will cause her problems. Also a good excuse to stop her spending too much...;-)

bremner 17:58 18 Sep 03

Buy her a TFT monitor for her birthday..lots of browny points and no flickering

Alryan 18:21 18 Sep 03

bremner: I've been doing a bit of window shopping myself online looking at TFT monitors. A lot of stuff out there of course - but can I get something with a decent spec. for less than £300 ? If so, what ?

bremner 20:02 18 Sep 03

click here from PCA review section

bremner 20:04 18 Sep 03

To continue

You will find many decent TFT's for under £300, many 15" and some 17"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…