Do 2 computers mean 2 modems?

Fateful Shadow 15:08 15 May 04

Broadband should (hopefully) be coming to my are P.D.Q. so I've been thinking about how we could set it up. The thing is, we have a computer downstairs and my laptop. Does this mean that we will need 2 modems, or is there another way, e.g. using a router? In your opinions, what is the easiest way to set up broadband in a situation such as this?

Also, what the heck are microfilters?! I keep hearing people going on about them but I haven't got a clue what they are!

Thanks again :)

LeadingMNMs 15:18 15 May 04

If you want both computers on at the same time then using two modems will not work because they cannot both be connected to the telephone line at the same time. There are two alternatives, one is to use a router and the other is to use Internet Connection Sharing. The ICS involves setting up a network between the computers and simply (i'm let to believe) enable the ICS on the host machine. A router option is more expensive but allows Internet access on either machine without a host machine needing to be on. The also involves creating a network, but with the router effectively acting as a server.

Microfilters are just small adapters that fit on the phone socket. Broadband interfers with voice calls on the telephone, and the filters effectively filter out the interference so voice calls are not affected.

Hope this makes sense and is useful.

Fateful Shadow 17:57 15 May 04

If we just wanted one computer on the Internet at a time, would 2 modems be ok, or have I lost the point completely :P

Thanks for the info LeadingMNMs :)

woodchip 18:06 15 May 04

Yes get a external modem, you can then just change the plugs or get a Serial Switch so you don't have to do anything other than switch from one to the other

woodchip 18:09 15 May 04

PS you would need External Modem, Serial Switch, two extra serial cables to connect to each computer COM port

Mankster 18:13 15 May 04

all the required information can be here

Graham ® 19:42 15 May 04

The easiest way is with a wireless router with built in modem such as click here.

You could then take the laptop into the sunshine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…