DNS error help!!

Amethyst75 12:06 27 Mar 03

Hi!

Every time I try to access the internet via IE6 I get ‘page cannot be displayed’ and C:Windows/system/SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm#http at the bottom of the page.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Iv tried reinstalling IE6 again and rolling back to a previous version but this didnt work. Its driving me mad!

Id be grateful for any replies, thanx ;o)

JoeC 12:34 27 Mar 03

a firewall recently ? There are instances of a firewall interfering with access and when firewall is disabled the problem goes away. A shot in the dark perhaps.

JoeC 12:47 27 Mar 03

to see if it helps any

click here

Amethyst75 14:27 27 Mar 03

Hi Joe......I actually wiped everything off my pc last week and started again, so yes i downloaded zonealarm but even when i disable it the problem still persists. Everything was working fine until 4 days after downloading the new software.

Thanks for your link ill go have a read ;o)

Amethyst

Pilch.... 16:24 27 Mar 03

If XP then zone alarm needs to allow 2 programs to get on the net that act as DNS provider's of some sort. uninstall it and re install and have a look that way, something like generic 32bit host or similar

JoeC 16:36 27 Mar 03

Found on a website - backup registry before doing this. This is claimed to sort it.

Remove all network components.
Click Start and then Settings.
Select Control Panel and then double-click the Network icon.
Write down all the settings in Network properties for your LAN and Dial-up Networking (DUN) connections.
Select each network component and then click Remove. (adapters, clients, etc.)
DO NOT restart the computer if prompted to do so.

Uninstall Dial-up Networking:
Click START and the Settings.
Select Control Panel and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
On the Windows Setup tab, clear the check box next to the Communications entry.
DO NOT restart the computer if prompted to do so.

Use Registry Editor to locate and remove the following Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\winsock2

Restart the computer:

Amethyst75 18:34 28 Mar 03

Im currently using Windows 98.....ill try Joe's suggestion see if that works! ta

Camille 19:28 28 Mar 03

amethyst - i just had exactly the same problem and tried numerous different strategies. the only thing that worked was completely uninstalling my firewall (not just disabling it)

Camille 20:01 28 Mar 03

...just to add to my previous post - i also had zone alarm (and it'd been working fine for months) and then suddenly about 2 weeks ago, i got the dns error msg.
after uninstalling zone alarm, everything worked perfectly until I reinstalled it and, again, got the error msg
perhaps it's a problem with zone alarm, as i've installed sygate now and am having no problems at all

Amethyst75 20:10 28 Mar 03

Thanks for your reply Camille! Iv just completely uninstalled zonealarm re-booted but still cant get online using IE *sigh*

mr gee 20:33 28 Mar 03

i had this error a while ago and i solved it by removing IE using regedit go to

hkey/local machine/microsoft/activesetup/installed components/{89820200-ecbd-11c-8b85-ooaa005b4383 then change the value from 1 to 0 close regedit and re-install IE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…