DMOZ submission agreement.

From the DMOZ agreement: 'To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission.'

Does anyone know what they mean by that? it sounds to me like waiving my copyright. but then it's 6 in the morning and I've been up all night so maybe I'm a little paranoid, your thought would be appreciated.

Forum Editor 08:04 25 Nov 03

and on this occasion you're right - you are waiving your copyright, and if you have any content that you value at all highly I advise you not to enter into such an agreement under any circumstances.

I would be particularly concerned about granting consent to edit and/or modify or create derivative works from something I had created.

Forum Editor 08:12 25 Nov 03

that this kind of agreement isn't unheard of. Other companies - including some free web hosts -have been known to ask subscribers to consent to relinquishing their copyright.

There's a big difference between say, a newsgroup (or a forum) wanting copyright on anything you contribute, and a company wanting a non-exclusive right to your creative web site work. The web forum assumes the right to use your submissions in say, promotional material, and the content of a forum is almost never 'creative' in the true sense of the word - it's simply people giving each other their opinions.

The latter is asking for a carte blanche to take the entire content of your site and do pretty well whatever they like with it. In the real world it's very unlikely to happen of course, but if you come up with another friends reunited, or some other phenomenally successful site you might wish you had never made such an agreement.

thankyou for the swift answer,

now I appreciate that the chances of anyone wanting to rip-off or otherwise abuse my stuff is extemely remote but I just couldnt believe what I was reading.
the quoted line is from the standard submission agreement that you have to make to be listed on DMOZ. As Dmoz gets many a recommendation in this forum I thought I should mention it to warn people.

anyway, I for one will content myself with a listing on Google who found me by themselves within days of starting my site and leave the Dmoz agreement well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…