DMA problem

Schrader 09:10 01 Jun 06

I am confused. I have one SATA drive, one IDE drive and a DVD/CD drive. The IDE drive is attached to IDE1 on the mobo as a Master and the DVD/CD on IDE1 as a Slave. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the Device Manager there are two Primary IDE channels listed and one Secondary IDE channel. The 1st Primary IDE channel shows Device 0 with a transfer mode of Ultra DMA Mode 5. The 2nd Primary IE channel shows Device 0 with mode Ultra DMA Mode 2 and Device 1 as PIO Mode. The secondary IDE channel is unpopulated.

1. I cannot get Device 1 to change to UDMA despite uninstalling the channel and rebooting and obviously selecting "DMA if available". If I swap the Master and Slave over then the IDE hard disk transfer mode is PIO.

2. Why are there two Primary IDE channels listed? The SATA drive should not be listed here should it?

3. I cannot find a slot on the mobo for the Secondary IDE channel yet when uninstalling and rebooting Windows finds it again.

Any help would be very much appreciated! My aim is to have both IDE disk and DVD/CD with a UDMA transfer.

Newuser4165 11:36 01 Jun 06

What motherboard do you have?

Schrader 11:51 01 Jun 06

I'm afraid I don't know - it's a new DELL 5150 machine if that helps.

Newuser4165 13:06 01 Jun 06

Just a thought here for now but I am asssuming that the pc is a desktop - not a laptop - is the cable connecting the ide hard drive /DVD drive connected the right way around ie coloured plug attached to motherboard with the grey plug(s) attached to the devices?

Schrader 13:18 01 Jun 06

Yes, it is a desktop and yes it is the right way round! I wouldn't be able to connect both devices to the cable if it was the wrong way round.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Newuser4165 14:09 01 Jun 06

From your initial post I see that you are familiar with the DMA XP "bug".
The only other thing that springs to mind at the moment is a Bios setup problem - your IDE drive behaves exactly like the DVD drive when connected on Primary/Slave.
See if there is anything amiss with the ide controllers.I would expect them to be set up as "auto detect"
If it is not a Bios setting problem then I would suggest you contact Dell as the DVD drive will be more or less unuseable in PIO mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…