DMA Controller

Bazmobile 09:22 01 Jun 05

I have a HP laptop that is failng a "Pccheck" test of the DMA Contoller. I know this is on the mainboard, but thats about it ! What does it do and can it be repaired/replaced without buying a mainboard ?

DieSse 09:53 01 Jun 05

If the DMA controller really has failed, then no it can't be repaired without a new moterboard - and laptop motherboards are not standard motherboards that you can buy near anywhere - they're specific to the laptop you have.

Before you give up completely

Take out the hard drive and re-insert it a few times (to clean the contacts where it plugs in)

Same with the optical drive, if it's removeable

Reset the BIOS to the default settings.

Ask HP for their opinions

Other than that I can't think of anything you could do - might it be a warranty issue?

Bazmobile 10:00 01 Jun 05

Thanks DieSse.
Its out of the warranty. The hard drive also failed the "Pccheck" test. Could this be related.
Will try all the things you suggested.
Many thanks

DieSse 10:13 01 Jun 05

What's the PCCheck test?

I presume your system is not working?

It's actually more likely that the hard drive has failed than the motherboard, though neither can be ruled out.

Bazmobile 10:40 01 Jun 05

Its software (on a floppy) that can check all hardware. I knew the Hdd had a problem and was going to change it anyway. When I checked the mainboard it came back with a DMA Contoller failure. Your correct the sys is not working and am going to order some new restore cd's from HP as I've lost my ones. But before I do that I would like to see if it can be sorted.

DieSse 11:24 01 Jun 05

I think under the circumstances, you might need to check the hard drive in another system, to prove where the problems are. This is where a friendly shop comes in handy, especially if you may do business with them for replacements.

You can get hard drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturers site - I would trust these more than "independant" test programs, which sometimes don't work corectly with all flavours of hardware. The DMA controller is just part of the main chips which make up the "chipset" - along with the majority of the rest of the logic, it's all in one or two chips at most - the DMA is just one part of them.

Does the system get through the POST tests built-in to it - If it does, then the DMA controller is probably OK

If you have a desktop system, you can get a caddy with a USB connection to run your laptop drive - then you could tset it independantly of your laptop - and it may be useful in the future for backup/recovery purposes too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…