DMA off. Can't find where to switch it on again

Qdiddy 20:04 27 Feb 05

I've just used the the Nero info tool and it shows my 2nd HDD with DMA Off, which surprised me cause I was certain it was set to ON. I have gone into device manager (XP sp2) but I can't find anywhere within the properties for the drive to switch DMA on again.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting everything I've learned on here...must be my age.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

woodchip 20:08 27 Feb 05

Look under Disc controller if XP

Qdiddy 20:12 27 Feb 05

Thanks Woodchip. Where is disc controller? I see floppy disc controller in device manage.

Qdiddy 20:16 27 Feb 05

Wait... I've got it now under IDE disc controller. But....its set to "DMA if available" and transfer mode is "Ultra DMA Mode 2". So why does the Info Tool say DMA is set to off?

woodchip 20:18 27 Feb 05

Sorry it comes under IDE

Gandalph 20:18 27 Feb 05

Device Manager> IDE Controllers then right click on the properties for the IDE your HDD is connected to then Advance Settings. You should be able to set the DMA in there.

woodchip 20:20 27 Feb 05

It may be the CDRW or DVDRW it's referring to, check it

Qdiddy 20:20 27 Feb 05

And to confuse things even more. Still under IDE controllers, there is also SIS 5513 UDMA Controller. When I open properties>settings on this, it shows the 2nd HDD as PIO Mode 4 and won't let me change anything.

Dazed and confused now.

woodchip 20:24 27 Feb 05

Try removing the IDE one and leave the SIS
then reboot comp

Technotiger 20:25 27 Feb 05

Hi, DMA settings - Go into BIOS, navigate to Integrated Peripherals>OnChip IDE Function, here you will find the settings control.

Qdiddy 20:26 27 Feb 05

Reference is definitely to the 2nd HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…