DMA on 2nd HDD switching off whilst in use?

Qdiddy 21:38 28 Feb 05

click here to see my initial query and click here to see where I finally found what I thought was the solution.

I used Fruit Bat /\0/\'s advice to delete the checksum entries in the registry and whilst this initially did the trick, I now find that something is switching the DMA to OFF whilst I'm in the middle of some video editing, and this causes choppy video playback and overall poor performance of the media player.

Now, in Device Manager>IDE Controller the drive is set to DMA when available, so I was wondering what that means exactly, what can make DMA not available, and how this can happen whilst I'm in the middle of something. And, more importantly, is there anything I can do to correct this. I note is the thread from Fruit Bat /\0/\ that there is also the suggestion to uninstall the drive, but was wondering how safe that would be for a 2nd HDD.

JonnyTub 21:49 28 Feb 05
  Qdiddy 21:51 28 Feb 05

Just to prove I don't sit here twiddling my thumbs whilst I await your sage advice...I found click here**&p_li= on the Maxtor website. This at least answers some of my questions. I'll leave the thread open for a bit in case anyone wishes to add anything.

JonnyTub 21:52 28 Feb 05

uninstalling the drive is perfectly safe by the way, i personally prefer to uninstall the ide channel the drive sits on, this serves to resolve any communictaion errors between drive and channel and is also perfoectly safe to do. Reboot and windows will re-install non corrupt ide and hd drivers.

Qdiddy 22:10 28 Feb 05

Good stuff JT. I'll have a go at the drivers, double check all my cabling and see what happens.

Qdiddy 22:30 28 Feb 05

JT,

I've just had a thought. Both HDDs are on the same IDE channel. (as are both optical drives but they are on the 2nd channel). Should each HDD be on it's own IDE channel as primary sources with the optical drives as secondary?

JonnyTub 16:54 01 Mar 05

That's how i would troubleshoot it qdiddy. bear in mind though that the ide channel will slow down to the slowest drive's speed. It may be worth a try, see what the results bring.

Qdiddy 13:45 02 Mar 05

Have moved the 2nd HDD to the secondary IDE channel as the Master device and it seems to have made a difference. I should have considered this before since the C drive has been a bit dodgy for a while. Time for a replacement me thinks.

Thanks for your help JT (again!).

JonnyTub 14:00 02 Mar 05

Your welcome Qdiddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…