DLL/DNS error.htm

neko 18:21 19 Nov 03

Hi

I just got a call from my friend who says he cannot access the internet and it gives him the following message.(I presume he gave it to me correctly)
c:\win\system\shdoclc.dll/dns error.htm.

Whilst on the phone I got to to ping a known address and it said host unknown, so i presume it's not the DNS server.

I am at work now and off round to play with it tommorow. Any ideas anyone?

System is using WIN98 and IE5 with a usb connection to a ntl cable modem

Hope u can help :)

Gongoozler 19:07 19 Nov 03

neko, try the advice on this page click here

VoG II 19:13 19 Nov 03
  johnnyrocker 19:13 19 Nov 03

nice tip try that when i get home.

johnny.

neko 19:43 19 Nov 03

Thanks for the response guys,

I will try the Winsock2 fix.

The only thing is it says to use it if you can ping DNS numbers.
He could not ping an ip address when i got him to try.

If not what about just loading IE6?

I'll try in the morning and post back.

©®@$? 20:05 19 Nov 03

i'm trying to resolve the same problem the winsock fix did not work but the link vog posted has some things i have tried

New.net plug-in is it in add and remove progams if it is remove it

How can I fully uninstall the New.net plug-in?
To uninstall the application, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start.
2. Select Settings.
3. Click on Control Panel.
4. Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
5. Select the New.net Application.
6. Click on the Add/Remove button.
7. Once the program has uninstalled, click on the OK button.

After completing all of these steps, please reboot the computer. This will have removed the New.net application from your system.
The above steps will fully remove the New.net plug-in. However, the Windows operating system will retain a record that the New.net plug-in previously had been installed on your computer in "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files." This file is harmless, but can be removed by following the steps below:

1. Click on Tools.
2. Click on Internet Options.
3. Under the General tab, click on the Settings button.
4. Within the Settings window, click on the View Objects button.
5. Within the Downloaded Program Files window, locate and delete Tldctl2c Class.
6. Close the Downloaded Program Files window.
7. Click on the OK button within the Settings window.
8. Click on the OK button within the Internet Options window.
9. Close Internet Explorer.

More info;

click here

Next you can try to flush the dns cache. that's
where windows stores frquently accessed pages, Possible it's corrupted. You must do this in command line mode. copy this down , cause you won't have access to it in command line.
Start, run, type cmd press ok
Type ipconfig /flushdns press enter

but im not sure if the reason why when my dad reboots the error is gone is that the dns gets flushed on restart hence it working again, but i told him to flush the dns cache anyway..

maybe worth a try if you get the error, flush the dns cache see if it resolves the prob.

if all fails go and download opera thats what i'll tell my dad if this cannot be resolved

©®@$? 20:11 19 Nov 03

i'm probably clutching at straws but thats all i can do at the moment, but i have done some research on this problem and it seems everyone that i have come across on the internet have zonealram installed, may not be related but who knows with computers

i'm waiting for you to tell me that you havn't got zonealarm installed

but the chances are the majority of people run zonealarm say a co-incedent can be possible

i have recently moved to sygate and i like it better than ZA thats another thing i will try on my dads computer?

neko 21:16 19 Nov 03

Hi mate

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I use Nortons, but guess what? My friends machine uses zone alarm!!
I think you are maybe on to something there.

I will follow through what you have written when i get my hands on his machine and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

neko 09:23 20 Nov 03

Hey all,

Well guess what?

I checked the cables, just in case, and all were okay. The error was as he said. I turned the cable modem off, waited, turned it on and let it do its thing.
And now it works fine!! What's that all about?
So thanks for the tips, i have put them together and printed them off in case this reoccurs and can't be sorted this way.
Strange things these PCs!!

Cheers

©®@$? 09:48 20 Nov 03

no way!

thats not fair.

some people have all the luck

;-)

©®@$? 10:17 20 Nov 03

when my dad reboots the problem is gone

could be two things

when you reboot maybe the dns is flushed

or

the modem gets switched off and on again

the only problem being i cannot test this, as it is an adsl modem and there is no way to manualy switch it off and on..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…