DLL probs - what do I do now, please?

saabists 21:13 21 May 03

Win98SE - Scandisk doesn't work ("Segment not present fault KRNL386.EXE"). Try opening Dskmaint.dll, which tries to open PhotoPlus6!
Uninstall PP6, try again - "Program not found. Windows cannot find PhotoPlus.exe This program is needed for opening files of type 'Application Extension'"
Try opening other dlls and the same message appears. Is there a Trojan? Do I need to use Trojfix? Should I delete all Registry links with PP6?
Can anyone help me before I make things worse?!!
I'm no beginner, but this one's got me stuck ... Thanks in advance - JohnH.

VoG™ 22:12 21 May 03

First thing is to do a virus scan (you do have up to date virus scanner?). Then you can try click here

Then Start, Run and enter

SFC /SCANNOW

and enter

(note the space before / and have your Windows CD to hand.)

jls 10:12 22 May 03

Unless you know what your doing don't alter the registry. Have you tried reinstalling windows? If you have I would suggest a complete reformat and installation (after taking all necessary back ups etc.

MichelleC 10:42 22 May 03

Another thing to try is:

Go to Start > Shutdown, and choose 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS'

At the blinking cursor, type the following commands successively, hitting 'enter' after EACH line:

cd\
cd windows\command
scanreg /fix

The Scanreg tool will now proceed to rebuild your registry, which can take some time.

VoG™ 15:48 23 May 03

Via e-mail

Hello VoG and thanks - used "The Cleaner" and although there was quite a lot of activity (after I'd updated and set the controls properly - it then took 15 min instead of 2!!), but no Trojans came to light (yes, I have anti-virus). SFC /SCANNOW command didn't work ("command parameters are not valid"), so ran SFC - details showed nothing restored, but 142 changes were made. The probs remain EXACTLY as before. I tried MichelleC's tips, but same symptoms still ... Anything else to go at?!!

MichelleC 15:55 23 May 03

I know it's the usual tech support advice to b/up and format, but you can spend days trying to fix these things.

saabists 20:49 30 Jul 03

Thanks to all - I've spent untold hours trying to fix this. I managed to get the thing running well enough until a full health check could be arranged.

The outcome was a faulty motherboard, so it was major surgery time (several other discrepancies -including an incorrect PSU - were found, and put right).

So, another big bill, but the machine is really humming now - long may it last ..!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…