DLL problem after uninstalling printer

Pineman100 14:07 16 Mar 07

I run Windows XP SP2 Home.

I've just got rid of my Dell 922 multifunction printer/scanner/copier. After disconnecting the device, I uninstalled the Dell software using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. At the end of this process I restarted the computer.

On booting up to the desktop, I received the following report:-

RUNDLL
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBTtime.dll
The specified module could not be found.

I now get this report whenever I boot up the computer.

Can anyone please tell me whether I should worry about this, and how to resolve it?

Many thanks.

silverous 14:11 16 Mar 07

Do Start, Run, msconfig

Look in the Startu ptab for anything relating to Dell and for this file in particular. If you find it (which you should do, based on the above) uncheck the checkbox next to it. That will stop it running on startup.

Shouldn't worry - it is just Dell's crappy uninstall routine not clearing up fully after itself.

VoG II 14:12 16 Mar 07

See if it is listed in msconfig click here

Stuartli 14:12 16 Mar 07

Or use CCCleaner.

Use the Issues tab; you will probably also be surprised at what else is superfluous.

click here

Pineman100 15:59 16 Mar 07

It's definitely listed in msconfig>Startup, although it has a suffix that follows the location that I typed above, as follows:

...DLBTtime.dll,[email protected]

I presume that's the same thing? I'll untick it from the startup list as suggested. What happens then? Should I just leave it on the list for evermore, or should I delete it (or is that dangerous?).

Or, if I use CCCleaner, can I rely on it never recommending deletion anything that's important?

Many thanks again.

silverous 16:04 16 Mar 07

No harm to leave it their unticked, but equally you could delete. No big deal either way. I'm a little suspicious of tools that helpfully try and delete things you don't need - and if you have to tell them what to keep and what to delete you are better off doing it yourself so you can be in control of what is done. that is my £0.02 worth

Pineman100 16:13 16 Mar 07

... that's pretty much my concern, too. I did use CCCleaner some time ago, and while I'm sure it's a perfectly good little application, I seem to remember that it wanted my approval before deleting anything.

Since I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what most of the deletion candidates were, I tended to play safe and refuse permission!

Anyway, on the same premise, I think I'll just untick the item in Startup and leave it to rot.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…