dll and ini files- what are they??

mighty_mondo 18:28 11 Nov 05

i have loads of dll and ini files on my start menu, i dont know how they got there or if i can delete them without doing harm??

Peter 18:55 11 Nov 05

As I understand it dll = dynamic link library and ini = initiation file (to enable a programme to be set up to the users requirements).

As far as I know neither should show up in the Start menu, but I don't know if it safe to remove them.

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me could shed some more light on this matter.

In the meantime which operating system are you using, Windows XP Home Edition perhaps?

Peter.

sattman 18:57 11 Nov 05

Both dll and ini files are user system files and should be ignored

click here
click here

GaT7 18:59 11 Nov 05

Seems like spyware/malware. For a start, & if your PC can, try running a free scan & removal at click here. G

GaT7 19:02 11 Nov 05

sattman, you could be right, but I just checked & there are no dll or ini files in my PC's startup (running WinXP Pro). Do you have any in yours? G

mighty_mondo 19:41 11 Nov 05

they are there when i click on "start" and hover over "all programs"
does that give you any more info?
Im using xp home

woodchip 19:44 11 Nov 05

They should not be in the startup folder as above check for spyware etc

sattman 19:49 11 Nov 05

No not at that location, all you should see when you click on start is a list of the software progs on you computer. I thought from the initial post that maybe you were looking deeper into the start up process.

mighty_mondo 19:52 11 Nov 05

i do run adaware quite regularly, im running the one from the above link just now.
i have 4 accounts on my pc (my girlfriend, daughter, myself and a guest)......will running spyware programs on my desktop detect spyware on one of the others??

woodchip 19:54 11 Nov 05

Check MSCONFIG from Run, if you see them in the startup folder remove the tick's and see what comes from it

mighty_mondo 20:05 11 Nov 05

they arnt in the startup folder in MSConfig, any time i install programs that i want us all to use i select c/documents and settings/all users/start menu/programs
when i go there all the dll files and ini files are in there too
should i be installing into this folder???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…