DLL Hell

daba 00:28 31 Mar 06

One of my apps reports:-

- Entry Point Not Found : the procedure ThunkConnect32 could not be found in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Question 1 : I've run DLL Checker, and the KERNEL32.dll I have in WINDOWS\System is not the latest. In fact it looks as if this older version was installed by Windows 2000 SP4. The application was installed after SP4.

I could try renaming it and copying the later DLL into the windows directory, but the file is in use by windows and it wont let me. Catch22 or is there a way to update an "in-use" system file.

Question 2 : DLL checker reveals I have a large amount of duplicated DLLs in :-

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ 214 Mb

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ 174 Mb

Since I have just upgraded to W2K, and run SP4, and run the large Windows Update, are these folders safe to empty or delete ?

Any help would be appreciated.

beeuuem 00:38 31 Mar 06

Does this click here help?

daba 00:51 31 Mar 06

Yes I have nVidia, and this could be the problem, as the app. I mentioned is a DVB card (Digital Telly).

I'll get straight on to this in the morning...

cheers

daba 00:55 03 Apr 06

beeuuem, Well I got straight on to it today (Sunday), I decided a round of golf was a better alternative yesterday.

Anyway, nVidia driver update cured the problem, thanks for the suggestion, I thought I was pretty much up-to-date.

Does anyone know if I need to keep these "ServicePackFiles" and "SoftwareDistribution\Download" space-hoggers ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now