dLAN Ethernet High Speed 85 problems

lizo1992 00:56 21 Sep 08

Hi, I bought the above product today to connect two laptops to the internet in seperate rooms.

On both laptops is Windows Vista.
After I set them up correctly, one connected to Network 2 and the internet successfully.
The other however didn't even connect to the network, let alone the internet.
On the plugs themselves are 6 lights which, wen active, light up green and/or flash. On the left are 3 lights under "ETH" and on the right are 3 lights under "dLAN."
The laptop which worked had all dLAN lights - Power, Act and Link - on, and one light under ETH - 100/Act - on.
But the laptop which didn't work had the dLAN lights on, but all of the ETH lights were off.
For people unfamiliar with what this looks like, you can vaguely see the lights on this picture:
click here
Anyway, I then went on Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Network Connections, found the Local Area Connection, which wasn't connected even though it should be, right-clicked and selected Properties. This brought me to the Local Area Connection Status, where I clicked Properties again, selected Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and again clicked Properties.

The reason I did this is because the information this contains had previously been altered as we tried to set up wireless internet using a different router. It was originally set to "Obtain IP Address/DNS Server Address automatically." When we altered it we set up our own IP Address/DNS Server Address to connect to.
This information includes the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Preferred DNS Server and Altered DNS Server.
However we had kept a record of what this information was before. We changed the information back to before, except instead of choosing Obtain IP Address/DNS Server Address automatically, as this didn't work, we entered the original information under "Use the following IP Address/DNS Server Address". After the connection was diagnosed, and repaired, and generally fiddled with for a while, the laptop finally connected to the internet.
But, when the other laptop was checked, although the connection to Network 2 was still there, the connection to the internet was off.
Again, the Local Area Connection Status properties had previously been changed on this laptop too, but had already been changed back, hence why we could connect this to Network 2.
So when we ran Windows Diagnostics as we did on the other laptop, it stated:
"Windows cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (62.31.176.39)"
Both laptops have the same Preferred and Alternate DNS servers. Could this be the problem? How would I go about changing it?
I went on the other laptop to search the web for a solution, and for some reason the internet suddenly turned completely off, not even connected to a laptop.
After a while I checked the other laptop - and it had connected to the internet again!
I really don't understand what is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mgmcc 09:07 21 Sep 08

Unless you have a *ROUTER* in the system, or have set up "Internet Connection Sharing" in one of the computers, you will *NOT* be able to get online simultaneously with both computers. The ISP only allocates one IP address, which will go to the first computer to connect, and each computer in a network (which includes the internet) must have a unique IP address.

lizo1992 09:57 21 Sep 08

OK, that makes sense. They have different IP addresses though, just the same DHCP and DNS servers -62.31.176.115 and 62.31.176.39 respectively. Should I change one of these, and if so which one, and what to?
The router, I think, is the blue plugs. The set up goes like so:
One is plugged in and connected to the modem though a LAN wire.
Another is plugged in and connected to one laptop.
And then the last one is also plugged in and connected to the other laptop.
Also, sorry for being dense but how do I set up an Internet Connection Sharing? I'm really not too good with computers

mgmcc 11:32 21 Sep 08

It appears that you have Virgin's *CABLE* broadband service. If you were using a Router, this would be connected directly to the Cable Modem by ethernet cable. A second ethernet cable would then go to one of the computers *OR* to one of the "mains network adapters". If going to a "mains network adapter", the computer would then connect to a second "mains network adapter". A second computer would connect to a third "mains network adapter".

The Router will get the single IP address allocated by Virgin - the 62.31.176.x address - and its DHCP server will allocate addresses to all computers in your network, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x range.

If you don't want to use a Router, the alternative is to have one computer connected directly to the internet and to "share" its connection. To do this, the "host" PC would either require two network adapters (one to connect to the Cable Modem and a second to connect to a "mains network adapter") or you would have to change the connection to the Cable Modem from ethernet to USB.

INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING
In the "host" PC, the one that connects to the modem, you need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual Internet connection (the entry for your broadband connection in the Network Connections folder). To do this, right click the connection, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection". This will automatically configure the TCP/IP settings of the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter.

In the "client" PC, the TCP/IP settings for the "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection" that connects to the "host" PC should be configured to get the IP and DNS addresses automatically, which they do from the "host" PC. This is in any case the default setting.

If you are using a software firewall, the IP addresses of the networked computers need to be entered in its "trusted" area. Additionally, if you are using Zone Alarm in the "host" PC, its Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "Internet Connection Sharing" traffic will be blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…