DIY PC ( UPDATE)

rickimalone 13:31 30 Apr 04

Just taken in first round of orders from first DIY project.

ASUS A7V8X-X = £45.99

AMD 2500+ BARTON (REATIL)- £59.99

ATI RADEON 9200 (RETAIL)- £29.99

Im in need now of buying a Harddrive and CDRW/DVD
and floppy drive however im not 100% on what connection I need to get for hardrive?

Also the OEM is putting me off what looks like good deals on the products above any advice would be great.

Also i'm looking for a case, black with visible side that has removable motherboard tray as this is ment to make it easier for the novice.

Any help will be much appreciated

rickimalone 13:56 30 Apr 04

FOUND THIS CASE click here

IS THERE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CASE THAT I SHOULD KNOW OF THAT WOULD MAKE IT HARD FOR FIRST TIME BUILD OR IS IT MISSING ANYTHING THAT I NEED.

AHHHH THIS IS A BIT HARDER THAN I THOUGHT

Totally-braindead 14:07 30 Apr 04

Nice enough case but did you want one with a window? You mention visible side thats why I ask. Also might be a good idea to get a case with front USB ports as this can be very handy

961 14:14 30 Apr 04

Your motherboard book should tell you if the connection for the harddrive are IDE or SATA or both

SATA drives are faster but IDE are the norm and slightly cheaper

I've been very pleased with Seagate and if you buy a "plus" model for about a fiver more, you'll get a 3 yr warranty

OEM harddrives often come without cables and software is usually downloaded from the manufacturers web site. Retail versions are slightly more expensive and usually have a cd disk of software and a cable. I wouldn't worry about buying OEM if you are as far as downloading from the web and ordering a cable over the net or from PCworld.

Cases usually come with the screws and fixings you need. Dabs and Novatech sell lots at reasonable prices

rickimalone 14:20 30 Apr 04

The mother board is IDE however the different: ata 133 udm 100 are the things confusing me.

I just wanted a good price/performance 60GB 7200RPM drive.

Regards to the case I cant find a sutible windows case that I can affoard, my budget is around £60 MAX and I would rather spend less and get a better CDRW/DVD drive.

Thanks for imput guys

rickimalone 14:23 30 Apr 04

Just ordered 512MB DRR PC2700 RAM from crucial at a cost of £75 pounds.

The original RAM i was going to get was in house ebuyer RAM but I though it would be better to not cut corners with RAM and crucial were brilliant when I up graded my laptop RAM.

Total cost so far is : £213 going is good

rickimalone 15:12 30 Apr 04

JUST SEEN THIS click here

ANY ONE THINK THIS IS GOOD BAD ???

Dumble452 15:24 30 Apr 04

Bought this click here
Don't know if I was just lucky but it came with cables, manual, screws and software although it was marketed as OEM

Dumble452 15:26 30 Apr 04

Most annoyed! Just seen that it has gone down £10 since I bought it

961 15:41 30 Apr 04

You'll get a comprehensive review of the LG dvd burner at click here but that seems a good price and I believer the burner has had good reviews

Novatech offer a Maxtor 80GB ATA133 hard drive at £46 in this months catalogue, or a Seagate ATA100 80GB at £53

The Maxtor runs slightly faster although you won't notice the difference and is obviously £7 cheaper. Either will be fine for you

As for the case get one with a 400watt psu. Dabs or Novatech have plenty. £17 seems on the cheap side but Dabs £25 job is perfectly fine and includes a rear case fan

Xevious 15:46 30 Apr 04

stop shouting! (use of upper-case...) :-)

pc cases from click here are all good too, very cheap, and do select one with a good PSU

also ensure your PSU is big enough for what you're installing, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…