DIY PC

rickimalone 14:13 22 Apr 04

DIY PC After loads of problems with mother in-laws PC I have decided to build her one, its preety much learn as I go using a wide range of websites and hopefully this formum help....... She really wants it for broadband,storing digital picture's, word processing making music cd'd and enough power to be able to cope for the next few years incase she takes up any new PC hobbies...........
The main software will be Windows XP HE and Norton Anti Virus and Office 2000..

So far i've come up with a list with prices::

Aries 300w atx tower 7 bays = 39.99 @ maplins

ASUS A7V8X-X Socket A = 43.51 @ DABS

AMD 2500+(Barton) including heatsink,fan = 64.04 @ savastore

512MB PC2700 = 44.59 @ savastore

40GB Samsung udma 100 7200rpm HD = 39.89 @ savastore

Sony CDRW/DVD combi drive = 31.67 @ savastore

Radeon 9200se 128mb = 35.19 @ savastore

3.5inc floppy drive = already got

monitor 15inc crt = already got

Microsoft keyboard/mouse = already got

This is about as far as ive got so far hardware is £298.88 and i still need to buy Windows OEM and Norton OEM(looking for best price)...

Im still not 100% sure about how much cable etc and what tools I need to buy. I have a static wrist band and mat and thats it........

Please if anyone thinks of anything to add or a link that might help me it would be much appreciated, this is my first time doing anything like this and there is no rush it's as much about learning and enjoying building it for me, as it is about the end result for mother in-law...........

HAD THIS POST IN CONSUMER WATCH THOUGH IT MIGHT BE BETTER PLACED IN HERE........

bananaslik 14:36 22 Apr 04

why a seven bay tower?i would go for a four bay max with at least a 350watt psu(450 would b better)also i would by pass the combo,u will b better off putting in a seperate rom & writer(you will pick these up cheaper from a computer fair)back to the tower,u say u want a seven bay yet u r only putting in a combo-it might look a little silly with all those spare bays sat doing nothing.before touching anything earth yourself out on a central heating radiator(removes the static out of your body)you may need to buy ide ribbons to join your mobo & rom.MAKE SURE U PUT PLENTY OF JOINTING PASTE ON THE CHIP between the cpu & the mobo-this is very important.if u get stuck on anything just post & people will help..

rickimalone 14:44 22 Apr 04

Yes thanks for that I though seven bay's, plenty of room to expand but for what?? ha ha ha

I shall be looking for a case this weekend so I think four bays will be what i'm looking for with around 350psu ....

Thankyou........

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 17:28 22 Apr 04

also make sure you have a power cable as most cases don't come supplied with them!

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 17:31 22 Apr 04

If you buy the processor retail boxed you will not need to put thermal paste on as bananaslik says, it will already be there. I presume you are as you say including heatsink,fan.

If you buy the processor retail boxed you will not need to put thermal paste on as bananaslik says, it will already be there. I presume you are as you say including heatsink,fan.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 17:32 22 Apr 04

whoops

Doogie Howser 17:35 22 Apr 04

Never had any problems with Scans cases. Currently using this one click here

It's not flash but it does the job well. More bays - more room for air circulation?

Doogie Howser 17:36 22 Apr 04

Just noticed the above postings. You do get a power cable.

rickimalone 21:29 22 Apr 04

Yes the CPU comes with Heatsink,fan.......
Thanks for all imput

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…