divided hardrive

tonyq 13:54 27 Feb 07

I have just bought a Toshiba A100 Laptop,where the hardrive(120GB)is divided equal into drive "C"&drive "E". What are the advantages of dividing the hardrive this way, and how can I make more use of having the two smaller drives instead of one large drive.

silverous 14:08 27 Feb 07

It means you can neatly segregate applications/operating system and data.

If you want to backup your data, say, and you keep it all on E then you only have to backup the E drive instead of delving into all the folders that contain data on C:.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 27 Feb 07

What are the advantages of dividing the hardrive this way?

If op system fails you can reinstall or replace and image without losing data.

how can I make more use of having the two smaller drives instead of one large drive.?

Install programs to E instead of the default C:\Program Files\you prog folder.

Change the setting for MY documents to the E drive.

However with only one drive if the HDD fails physically then you lose everything anyway so do not forget to back up regularly

Batch 16:23 27 Feb 07

See the various pros and cons presented in this thread: click here

tonyq 18:58 27 Feb 07

thank you all for the replies,If I decide to move MY documents and Program Files to the "E" drive, can I just drag them on to that drive or is there more to it?.

Batch 08:11 28 Feb 07

To move My Dociments, in Windows Explorer right click the My Documents folder and select Properties. Then on the Target tab, click Move...

Not sure there is an easy way to move Program Files as there are many entries in the registry and probably elsewhere that would need updating. If you search for Move Program Files, you'll come across various tools like click here No idea how good these are.

If you use Outlook Express, you can also move your mailboxes. See click here (the section entitled "How do I move my store folder"

If you want to keep all your main data on one drive, you might also like to move your address book. How to do this is shown on the same page referred to in the link above. But this entails editing the registry.

terryf 09:06 28 Feb 07

I keep only os and progs in 18 gb of a 30gb C drive, all other data and store folder on a second 250 gb D drive. I use Acronis TI to make an image of C on D. This means that if I have a system problem or crash it takes about 12 - 15 minutes to get me back to a sparkly new Windows instead of an afternoon re-installing Windows, drivers and programs. as belt and braces I back up images and some data onto an ext usb drive but then after 44 years in computing, I am a bit paranoid :-)

Batch 09:48 28 Feb 07

You must have an awful lot of software installed.

In a broadly similar set-up to you, my C: is less than 4GB (and that is including the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys which account for 1.25GB and which TI doesn't actually include in its images).

My restores take 3 - 4 minutes on a rather old Athlon 1.1Ghz.

tonyq - personally I don't think moving the Program Files is the best way forward. By all means move your data.

tonyq 17:07 28 Feb 07

Hi all,may I just point out that my laptop as Vista installed which does not seem to have the folder "My Documents" anymore or am I missing something?,sorry for the duff info.

Batch 17:21 28 Feb 07

From wikipedia:

In Windows Vista, "My Documents" has been renamed to simply, "Documents". "My Music" and "My Pictures" have also lost their prefix, and the folders themselves have moved to the users' profile root directory.

woodchip 17:27 28 Feb 07

Any Programs are better reloaded with Custom Install to the other Drive. You cannot drag Programs they will not work after

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac