Ditto Symbol

billyliv 10:16 20 Aug 03

Hi, In word I notice that there isn't a 'Ditto Symbol' (=//=). How do I create one? Cheers, Bill

pj123 12:01 20 Aug 03

A macro would be the best way, but it would probably take just as long to run the macro as it would to type in =//= because the "=" would vary in length.

plankton 12:48 20 Aug 03

Please can I just say that I wouldnt know what =//= meant? I wouldnt know what "=" meant either. Is it ---"--- that is required? Or ---'---. Or even ---do--- . Only suggestions. Ditto's always been a pain since typewriters were invented... Thanks.

pj123 12:55 20 Aug 03

plankton, I agree with you. Ditto to me has always been a long line then the quote marks " and then another long line. The line has always been dependent on how long the item above it is. So, as it changes frequently there cannot be a symbol to cover it all.

Mango Grummit 13:16 20 Aug 03

I always use -"-

or --"-- whatever. Looks OK I think.

Mango Grummit 13:17 20 Aug 03

Seeing at it there not quite as good but it looks alright in Word.

plankton 18:45 20 Aug 03

Thanks for agreeing. I've seen lots of attempts at "ditto" but I don't think there is an accepted alternative (I've asked me wife an she's a secretary)in fact she says they have to retype the whole thing to avoid confusion...

Or we could just call everybody Bruce...?

Pesala 21:11 20 Aug 03

… … … … … … … … … …

rev.bem 21:17 20 Aug 03

▬▬▬▬ ║ ▬▬▬▬

rev.bem 21:18 20 Aug 03

oops.

DieSse 23:02 20 Aug 03

Every reference I've looked up defines a ditto mark as ײ no leading or trailing anythings, and not curly double quotation marks.

You can find several characters which would do the job - the one I liked best was in the Hebrew bit of the Arial character set.

You can get this from the character map (insert - symbol) - and if you like, in Word, you can assign a key code to it - I would thing AltGr d would be good - then it becomes just another AltGr key, like the ?

Of the symbol in the first paragraph comes otu wrongly - blame them, not me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…