Distortion of Word files

Hamish I 22:11 13 Dec 05

I have the latest version of Word, and find that, when I open saved files, they have sometimes changed. For example, the date in a letter may have moved to the left, and/or there is a large quantity of technical information down the left hand margin. If I delete this and save the document, it has returned when I again open the document. Of course, if I want to print I can do so after correcting and deleting, but I would like to avoid this inconvenience.

Simsy 23:04 13 Dec 05

are there any macros running?

Do you have the security set to "Low"? If so set it to medium or high. This will then bring an alert box if there are macro(s), allowing you to choose whether to run them.

It wont cure the problem, but may help to identify it.

Does it only apply to specific files?

Regards,

Simsy

rmcqua 11:24 14 Dec 05

I would uninstall Word and then reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem.

Taff™ 11:32 14 Dec 05

Help>Detect & Repair First! The I might be tempted to rename normal.dot to normal.old and let Word recreate the former.

Hamish I 22:11 14 Dec 05

Security was set to high when my computer came. Detect and Repair stops at the point when I don't have the Microsoft Office Premium disk and I can't uninstall and reinstall Word because I don't have the Word disk.

VoG II 22:14 14 Dec 05

Search for normal.dot - you will have to enable searching for hidden files and folders to find it.

Rename it to abnormal.dot

Start Word and see if the problem is fixed - if not, rename it back again.

Taff™ 22:51 14 Dec 05

Why don`t you have the disk?

Hamish I 22:58 14 Dec 05

(a)I don't have the disk because my supplier installed Word without giving me the disk. Should I have beewn given it?

(b) Renaming normal.dot as abnormal.dot didn't fix the problem, so I renamed it back as instructed.

VoG II 23:01 14 Dec 05

(a) Yes.

jz 21:42 15 Dec 05

Try choosing menu item View > Print layout.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…