distorted sound

2020 10:54 27 Mar 04

hi. i can't solve the sound distortion when i play an audio cd. i got some advice on this previously, i have tried out the suggestions but no improvment. do i need to get a new sound card or other kit?
its a compaq deskpro with audio ES1869 winxp home
thanks in advance

MichelleC 13:20 27 Mar 04

Have you checked the box 'enable digital cd audio for this device' under the rom's drive?

hugh-265156 13:54 27 Mar 04

is it just the cd audio thats distorted or is windows sounds distorted also?

if just the cd audio try a lens cleaner.

you could also try uninstalling the cd drive via device manager and restarting the computer,windows will re install the drive again.this worked for me in the past when i had choppy cd audio.

if windows sounds are also distorted then try re installing the drivers for the sound card onboard sound etc.

Stuartli 14:48 27 Mar 04

The need for a lens cleaner is very rare as drives are well sealed - have you checked that you have the speaker leads in the correct socket?

Also check the mixer controls as one or more input/output facilities may have been muted or the slider turned too far down.

This check also applies to programs such as Windows Media Player which have their own volume and mute controls.

Sometimes enabling digital CD sound makes things worse...:-)

2020 14:50 27 Mar 04

Thanks MichelleC & huggyg71. device usage is enabled, thou it's not digital.
the distortion is only on every audio cd i try to play. no problems with music i have on the computer.it is the same when i play in the dvd drive.

hugh-265156 15:04 27 Mar 04

try uninstalling the drive and let windows re install it again.

control panel/system/hardware/device manager

right click your cd/dvd drive/s and choose uninstall.

restart the computer and windows will re install it again.

sometimes this helps.

2020 16:54 27 Mar 04

i have just installed the dvdrewriter hoping it would play cds ok, no joy so should i still try the reinstall. also i am using realplayer and previously i used media player, would this be a factor?
many thanks

hugh-265156 18:08 27 Mar 04

i can use both with no problems.

do you have any cpu intensive programs running in the background? shut down everything else thats running and try playing a cd.

is dma enabled for the drive? check in control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager

expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" select "secondary IDE channel" right click it and select properties/advanced settings and choose "DMA if available"

if its already set to dma then try PIO mode and vice versa.

try updating your motherboard chipset drivers maybe also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…