Distorted display edges

Doodlebug 14:32 18 Jun 06

My display often, but not always, has narrower characters at the left and right hand sides than in the middle. It's a bit like viewing it through a concave glass. This seems to have happened since I installed a Radeon 1600X pro AGP graphics card, which is still giving me all sorts of other problems.

I have tried changing the resolution, the monitor setup, and anything else I imagine might cause the problem, but the distortion eventually returns.

Anyone know the secret?

SANTOS7 14:43 18 Jun 06

Use the button on the front of your monitor and adjust the PINCUSHION settings...

SANTOS7 14:45 18 Jun 06

Sorry, The menu button..

rsinbad 15:19 18 Jun 06

Looking to update my graphic's card and would appreciate your comments for upgrade.

I am not really into games but do use graphic programs, psp, video and tv. My current setup :-

P4 2.8 ghz XP home Sp2

MB gigabite GA-8SIML

Memory 1024mb

current graphic card Gigabyte Mayo 9000 Pro

Not sure about the power supply would need to open case to find out.
Regards

rsinbad 15:20 18 Jun 06

sorry posted in error

Doodlebug 15:23 18 Jun 06

Thanks, Santos7, but I've already tried the monitor buttons. The shape, position, etc,. of the display rectangle are all OK and, as far as I can tell, the monitor itself is not failing.

It all seems to have started since I installed the Radeon card. Occasionally the system freezes, or the display disappears, so I've done all the simple things like reinstalling the driver, trying different resolutions, hardware accelerator settings, checking the card seating and making sure the box is as dust free as possible, but there's been no improvement.

rupie 17:27 18 Jun 06

If you were watching a movie on a TV that is the effect given when a film is shown in cinemascope or panovision where the edges are squashed but expand when the camera pans into that area. If it is not a faulty monitor and the text is sharp at the edges, although crushed then it is not a gfx hardware fault either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…