Distinct numbers in Excel

SRM662 13:21 23 Jun 04

I am looking for a function that would strip out duplicate (referenced) lines in a table. For example a table that has a column with individual cells numbered say: 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,5,6,6,6,7

The next column would have data in the first row – only where the number change (e.g. from 1 to 2).

I would like to be able to extract results from the above so that they in consecutive tabular format – i.e. without any gaps.

Does that make sense?

Note that the numbers may not always be consecutive.

stlucia 13:32 23 Jun 04

Data>Filter>Advanced Filter, Check the unique records only box, and it seems to hide all rows which have duplicated references -- except the first one! I've never used it in anger, but it looks like a starting point.

VoG II 13:40 23 Jun 04

Yep, and tick Copy to new location.

SRM662 14:04 23 Jun 04

The spreadsheet is to be saved as a template and, as far as I understand, this won;t work in a template.
The spreadsheet (template) pulls in data (upon opening) from another database and is to manipulate it from there.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this as best I could. I will - eventually.

stlucia 16:06 23 Jun 04

Ah, so can the selection (i.e. rejection of duplicate references) be made within the macro or whatever it is that pulls in the data?

Otherwise, can you do something with HLOOKUP or VLOOKUP, both of which will select only the first instance (i.e. no duplicates) of the required value?

VoG II 18:42 23 Jun 04

Does click here help?

VoG II 19:02 23 Jun 04
  SRM662 09:49 28 Jun 04

I think these solutions may help - though haven't had chance to try. When I get chance, and if it doesn't work, I will try again.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…