Dissertation subject!!! Any suggestions...........

machow 19:32 24 Oct 03

Im in third year of Bsc Business information systems, and im really struggling to come up with a subject for my dissertation.

My main interests are within data modelling/database design and systems analysis, so i would ideally like to have something within these realms.

Any suggestions or resources sites that may help, would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

Taran 20:30 24 Oct 03

The continued rise of GPL software and how it rivals alternative standards.

In particular, PHP/MySQL v ASP/Access/SQL Server

How the cost (to develop and implement), functionality, efficiency and ease of learning/deployment compares.

Native support for volumes of data, security issues, reliance on programming as opposed to scripting skills, required hardware and software to effectively serve the systems and how they may be managed and updated (this is a very serious point).

This was something I was putting into consideration a few days ago. I visited a very large manufacturing plant with vast output (not to mention operating costs and profits) who were operating their database on an ADABAS system running on a mainframe.

I started bouncing around how it could be brought up to speed for modern day use (in hardware and software terms), did a very rough systems analysis, jotted down some DFD's, bounced around how the various available technologies could answer the requirements on this scale and decided I really had to get out more...

Food for thought ?

regards

Taran

machow 20:40 24 Oct 03

Yes it certainly is!!

Thanks

shazza65 21:33 24 Oct 03

I felt I'd eaten a three-course meal reading all that, I only wish I understood it, maybe then I wouldn't have so many problems with my computer or at least understand what instructions people were giving me!

Good luck with your dissertation.

Sir Radfordin 21:42 24 Oct 03

Have a look through some journals (loads are online and a good Uni will give you free access) as this will not only provide you with the required background reading but may also help you to form up some ideas.

Make sure you get a really good title and some good research questions otherwise you will get bored of it after a couple of weeks - and you'll be working on it for much longer than that if its going to be any good.

Also think about something that you may be able to use to get a job - do some research that an employer is going to think worth while.

You could look at things like Query Optimisation - theroy v reality. RDBMS and the usefulness of Distributed Systems. How do you find the balance between good design theory and a working database. For example something that is fully normalised may take forever to do anything.

Just some things to think about...! Now where did I put my Diss proposal ;)

Steven135 22:00 24 Oct 03

Ho hum ever felt like a very small fish in a VERY BIG technical pond!

christmascracker 22:03 24 Oct 03

yep!

machow 22:03 24 Oct 03

it would be interesting to see how you laid your propsal out.... (am i clutching at straws!!)

machow 22:04 24 Oct 03

me too!

Sir Radfordin 00:46 25 Oct 03

If you really want to see my attempts then...email me and I'll reply soonish!

Am away from normal computer till tomorrow evening but I'll reply when I'm back.

Haven't your Uni's provided you with anything to help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…