dissappearing desktop

Blubottle 17:14 25 Jun 07

My O/S is Win2k pro.
just recentely my desktop boots up with no icons just the background picture,If I then reboot they return. I have trawled the archives for similar problems and solutions but all to no avail.
any advice please

Andy1991 18:41 25 Jun 07

it seems that the explorer.exe process is not always starting with windows. If it happens again try, pressing Ctl + Alt + Del. And select FILE then "New Task", the type in "Explorer.exe". then select OK. ur Icons and taskbar should return. U can't really control explorer.exe boot but u can enforce it. Got to C:\Windows\ and right click "Explorer.exe", select "Send to" then "Desktop". then just go to your desktop and drag that new icon over the start button, then over "All programs" then drop it on to the start up" folder. This should enforce explorers start.

ambra4 19:02 25 Jun 07

Try this

Right click on desktop

Highlight Arrange icons

Show desktop icon should be ticked

Andy1991 19:35 25 Jun 07

I don't think that is the problem, if the taskbar has gone aswel. Blubottle, Is the taskbar there?

Blubottle 08:41 26 Jun 07

There is/was no taskbar no icon's just the wallpaper

birdface 11:00 26 Jun 07

I don't suppose trying last good configuration in safe mode would work.

MichelleC 13:36 26 Jun 07

If you can boot to safemode and it's ok you could run sfc /scannow. You may be able to do it in normal mode if you can Ctrl/Alt/Delete and get a command prompt. Another alternative is to boot from cd and do a 'repair' which will retain dat but you'll have to redo all updates. I think it's a registry corruption.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5