Dissapearing files

edennorman 13:15 08 May 04

This cant happen can it? I burned a stack of folders containing assorted data files to cd a month ago, yet when I tried to access the content this morning, I found the directory structure but about 80% of the folders were empty....nada...nothing....all gone, All I noticed that the files had dissapeared from the top of the directory tree downwards...the last 20% of the folders had files of very mixed format still in them.

This cant happen can it? Can anyone offer any explanation for this? Should I try a data recovery software? Or have the files simply gone for good (crying softly)

Thanks for yuor help in this.

eden

stalion 13:17 08 May 04

can you not replace the files from the cd you burned Regards

hugh-265156 13:40 08 May 04

try isobuster click here

edennorman 15:29 08 May 04

No unfortunately I cannot replace the files that were on the cd.

eden

trying iso buster now..

edennorman 15:31 08 May 04

but anyway...how did this happen? has it happened to anyone else....woud love to know how it happened?

eden

hugh-265156 15:36 08 May 04

after burning the disc did you check to see if it was ok at the time?

what speed did you burn at and the quality of media may also play a part in this maybe.

i have never had a problem like this but im told some cheaper brand discs and some cdrws can cause problems.

edennorman 10:18 09 May 04

Yesy I checked the disk after writing, but only to see that the directory structure was there, I was using a branded cdr...a ritec disk...When I have had problems with retrieving data from a disk in the past, I have always found it impossible to even access the disk from the drive, but on this occasion I can access the disk no problem...and get into all the folders in the tree, but there is just nothing in them...at least the majority of the folders are empty, and that has never happened to me before....I had no luck with ISO Buster....it said the disk had no problems and it accessed everything that was on it. The data has just dissapeared.... a case for X Files maybe? If anyone else has had this problem I sure would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks for the help so far.

eden

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…