//some 3rd party need geo

Disposing of an 'broke' laptop hard drive...

nick_j007 16:38 13 Oct 04

Did a quick search and found nothing really related to my question:

Replaced my HDD a while back from a Dell Inspiron 8100, and have removed the IBM travelstar 30gig, 4200rpm drive that was proving impossible to use in the end as it was grinding and crashing badly.

I don't recal formatting it or anything, and so it sits here.

I don't need anything from it, but what is best course of action with it now please?

Thanks,

Nick

Diodorus Siculus 16:58 13 Oct 04

If broken and useless, then have fun with a hammer!

If you want to repair it, then try getting a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adaptor and put it into a desktop and use a diagnostic program on it.

bremner 16:58 13 Oct 04

If you have personal data you would rather not let any on eelse see then I suggest you take a hack saw to it and slice up the platters.

Diemmess 17:02 13 Oct 04

The DIY way

1) 2 lb club hammer

2) Hard (concrete) surface

3) Cold Chisel (narrow)

Method

Place HD on (2) - Hold (3) above and in contact with HD

Apply (1) vigorously. Once the HD has acquired a really new shape it can go in the bin.*

* Current legislation will not allow old IT equipment in the domestic rubbish, but if you don't say anything I won't tell.

nick_j007 17:03 13 Oct 04

Can I safely assume that there is in fact no possibility of repairing it given its last performance?

It really did display all the classic signs of finally dying.

Nick

nick_j007 17:04 13 Oct 04

Smiling...thanks Diemmess :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…