Displaying GIF files

noknok 10:04 29 Nov 04

Can anyone tell me please, why my new Laptop computer, running Win XP home edition, isn't displaying GIF files in Windows Explorer.

Thank you.

Gongoozler 10:24 29 Nov 04

Are you saying that you can't see the files at all, or you can't see their extensions?

You could try the following, in Windows Explorer under Tools - Folder Options - View, untick "Hide extensions for known file types" and put a dot in "Show hidden files or folders". If either of these lets you see the files, then perhaps we can find a permanent solution.

noknok 11:10 29 Nov 04

Thank you for your reply.
When I save my GIF files to a folder, the files are there, but I am unable to view thumbnails or tiles, but can see them in details view.
If I try to attach a GIF file in Outlook Express,
and go to the folder, it doesn't show any files available, unless I click "View all Files". Then they are showing.

Gongoozler 11:40 29 Nov 04

Hi noknok. I just tried to look at a gif file in thumbnail view, and could only see the thumbnail after associating it with Irfanview, so I would guess that you haven't yet set a file association for gifs.

noknok 12:08 29 Nov 04

Many thanks Gongoozler, you have been very helpful.

I think your answer should work, and I will make sure there is a file association for GIFs

Thanks again noknok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…