Display stuck in VGA mode

Unplugged 10:46 30 May 03

I have re-installed Windows 98 on my Patriot PC - Intel Celeron 433. Now the monitor will only run in VGA mode (640x480).

The problem appears to be that Winmdows thinks the machine only has a "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" card. In fact the graphics is integrated on the motherboard rather than a separate card.

I have been stuck on trying to solve this for days - please, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the PC to recognise the graphics card correctly?

DieSse 11:05 30 May 03

It's very likely that the system has an intel 810 or 815 graphics controller - can you check that - with click here for instance.

Then what you need are the appropriate drivers for it. They are normally on the CD that came with the motherboard, or amy be downloaded from the intel site. The intel site ones will of course be fully up to date, and there may be other useful drivers for your motherboard there.

woodchip 11:16 30 May 03

Have you loaded the graphics and monitor driver?

Unplugged 12:11 30 May 03

Thanks for assistance - the motherboard is i810, this was the clue for where to look on the Win 98 CD.

For anyone interested in the steps taken to correct the problem see below:

I clicked on the Display icon on Control Panel. Selected settings tab and advanced button, then adapter tab and change button. In the update device driver wizard I then selected the option to display all drivers in a specific location and pressed the have disk button. I took the option to browse the CD drive and selected the path d:/drivers/display/intel/i810/i81xw9x.inf
I then got an option to select the Graphics Driver - there were two options one with Display Cache, the other without, I selected the one with (as it sounds better).

NB I then got a message saying that the driver you have chosen was not written specifically for the selected hardware .... are you sure you want to use this driver? Answer = Yes!

After that I reset display settings to True colour (24 bit) and screen area to 800 * 600 which suits my 15" monitor and eyesight. Rebooted and all is well!

Thanks again for help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…