Display stuck on 640x480

Harry2o 18:54 20 Oct 03

In the process of curing a faulty CD drive I decided to re-install Win98 on a Gateway PC supporting a 3dfx Voodoo3 graphics card and a Viewsonic6E display monitor. The re-instalation seemed to go well but I am now unable to set a screen rsolution higher than 640x480. The slider on the screen settings refuses to move no matter what I tweak! The system performed OK previously and I believe the correct drivers have been installed - help much appreciated.

Lozzy 18:55 20 Oct 03

Update your graphics drivers..

That will cure the issue

dfghjkl 19:44 20 Oct 03

graphic card drivers at fault

Cantillion 19:57 20 Oct 03

To get drivers for your card visit this site click here - 3dfx went bankrupt some time ago, but this is an excellent resource for their drivers!

Harry2o 18:11 21 Oct 03

Thanks to all for replies. I have downloaded driver from 3dfx Archive and will give it a try.
Am still puzzled tho' that device manager shows 11 driver files supposedly loaded for the graphics card and reports it to be working correctly! The download produced only 1 file with an exe extension - trust this will work.

a member 19:45 21 Oct 03

don,t know if this helps but i encountered a similar problem some time ago, although the OS was windows ME.
the graphic card drivers were loaded but the card was obviousely not working right ,the card utility said that it was a standard pci graphics adapter , well i knew it was a AGP CARD ,so i loaded the agp drivers for my motherboard and that cured the problem.

keith-236785 19:49 21 Oct 03

good point merlinx

PA28 19:51 21 Oct 03

I recall a similar posting about a year ago when updated 3dFX drivers sent a Voodoo Card berserk. The solution was to reinstall the original drivers supplied with the card (v1.4). Get out your old installation disks!

stlucia 13:27 22 Oct 03

With 11 graphics drivers installed, perhaps Windows is selecting the wrong one. I had to manually select the correct driver when changing my graphics card because Windows 98 picked the wrong one -- might be the same when reinstalling Windows.

Harry2o 23:20 23 Oct 03

Thanks again for replies but I feel I'm in a hole and had better stop digging. The downloaded driver file did not work. It seems to be a .exe file but not a standard 32 bit type. Maybe it's an old 16 bit type. So am back to square one. I am considering re-formatting the hard drive in a last ditch effort but that seems rather extreme. Perhaps the time has come to invest in a new graphics adapter!

DieSse 23:25 23 Oct 03

The downloaded driver file is not a driver in itself - it's a self extracting archive. When you run it, it should unarchive itself, and could do one of two things - either carry on and install the actual driver files - or extract them into a folder from where you will then have to install them seperately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…