Display split horizontally

stlucia 08:03 17 Jun 05

It never rains but it pours :-( Having sorted my BB connection, I've now got a display problem:

My whole display is shifted about a quarter of the height of the screen upwards, which means that the bottom (start button etc.) is about quarter way up the screen, and the top of the display (the X and - buttons, etc.) has 'spilled over' and comes up at the bottom of the screen. While I'm booting up, the screen is normal -- it only shifts when the Windows XP welcome screen comes on. I can access everything on the screen, the mouse disappears off the top and reappears at the bottom, and vice-versa.

I've started my PC in safe mode, and the display is normal. Does this mean that it's a problem with the graphics card?

Graham ® 09:20 17 Jun 05

Try updating the drivers in Device Manager. You'll find it under Display adaptors. You can uninstal there as well, but I should await guidance on that!

wee eddie 09:53 17 Jun 05

Manufacturer, TFT, CRT, Size, Model Number.

Have you tried to alter the "Display Settings"

Either buttons on the Unit, or of the Software variety.

stlucia 11:22 17 Jun 05

Video card is NVIDIA Vanta, and display is Sony SDM-M51 LCD.

Thanks wee eddie, vertical shift on the display settings has done the job. I had thought it was something more serious 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get operate the settings yesterday -- the settings screen looked like I should be able to click on it with the mouse, but in fact it's all driven by various combinations of the buttons on the monitor casing.

stlucia 07:41 18 Jun 05

Since it was a setting on the monitor, not the PC, that was at fault, how come the display was OK during boot-up?

ayrmail 08:36 18 Jun 05

That happens to my display when I change from one user to another or when coming out of the odd game, annoying but always solved by using the auto set up for the monitor. I assume that it is a monitor issue rather than a card issue.

wiz-king 08:39 18 Jun 05

I don't know how or why but I have similar things with some of my PC and monitor combinations. I often have to switch round PCs and monitors for servicing etc and this happens on occasions.

DieSse 10:15 18 Jun 05

Just out of interest ...
Since it was a setting on the monitor, not the PC, that was at fault, how come the display was OK during boot-up?

Modern monitors store different monitor settings for each display mode they're in. So the DOS screen, and the low resolution boot up graphics settings will be different to the normal desktop settings - some can be OK, the others not.

stlucia 11:42 18 Jun 05

for the explanation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…