Display size keeps changing

griffo 09:27 10 Feb 10

On 3 occassions my display size has enlarged when I reboot the PC, although the settings haven't changed (as far as I can see).

The first time it happened a System Restore fixed it. Second time, it didn't until after I had spent time trying different settings and rebooted a couple of times.

Today it's happened again and System Restore hasn't worked.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this please?

rawprawn 09:35 10 Feb 10

Try uninstalling the display drivers in Device manager, then reboot your computer and let it find the drivers again. If that doesn't work try updating the drivers at the manufacturers web site.

griffo 09:53 10 Feb 10

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did that and it's worked, many thanks. However, I will not mark the thread as resolved just yet, in case it happens again - hope that's OK?

rawprawn 11:28 10 Feb 10

I'm glad it's fixed, I don't think it will occur again, but don't forget to tick resolved later.

griffo 09:16 07 Mar 10

It has behaved fine since 10th Feb. but this morning the display exceeds the screen, so I have to scroll to see everything.

I tried the same as last time - uninstalling the graphics card and when it rebooted it had reverted to 800 x 600. When I try to change it to 1680 x 1050 again, all the icons are fragmented. Having rebotted again it's gone back to 1680 x 1050 again with the display exceeding the screen - so back where I started!

Any ideas please folks?

birdface 09:20 07 Mar 10

Maybe try the zoom button under View.
or if you have a scroll button on your mouse hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel to get to the size that you want.

bazt 19:25 07 Mar 10

You could try this

Control Panel
Personalization
Display settings

Make sure the silder in the window is set aat high

Now apply

bazt 19:25 07 Mar 10

I have presumed you are using Vista foe XP go to display

griffo 08:44 09 Mar 10

Thanks for the replies.

I uninstalled the ATI Radeon HD4650 in Device Manager, having downloaded the latest driver from AMD.

Upon reboot, I installed the latest driver, rebooted again and it was fine, until this morning. It's done it again!!

I would emphasise that the screen settings don't appear to have changed, they still show 1680 x 1050, it just doesn't fit the screen any more.

I have just discovered the ATI Catalyst Control Centre by right clicking on the desktop and have used the display setup wizard there. This has returned the screen to normal for now.

Whether this will last remains to be seen. If anyone has any idea(s) why it keeps changing, I would welcome their views please.

griffo 20:48 02 Sep 10

This wretched problem keeps re-ocurring. Having gone for many week with no problems, it started again.

I tried uninstalling the device (in device manager), uninstalling and reinstalling the latest software from AMD (for the ATI Radeon HD4650) - all to no avail.

I tried removing the graphics card and running with the onboard graphics - stable but noticeably inferior.

So, I have reinstalled the card and the software but it will not fit the desktop when the settings are at 1680 x 1050 (which is what it should be). Furthermore, the ATI Catalyst software doesn't appear anywhere, despite having been re-installed. So I can't try to setup the display using that.

Really frustrated by this, can anyone please help?

birdface 09:08 03 Sep 10

Don't really know much about Graphic cards but if the computer runs ok without it it looks like the card must be at fault.
So maybe a new graphics card required.
Have you tried deleting the driver and letting Microsoft renew it or does that not work either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced