display settings

Rustyremi 09:51 22 Jul 03

My display was working okay then for some reason the display setting have gone to only 16 colours and 600 x 800. I have tried to increase the diplay settings to 265 colours in control panel I get message to re-boot to apply new setting but on reboot display reverts to only 16 colours.
Any suggestions what the problem is.

Jester2K II 09:55 22 Jul 03

Try reloading your graphics driver.

Wes Tam ;-) 10:01 22 Jul 03

Right-click on an empty part of the desktop, choose Properties, then the Settings tab, and then the Advanced button. On the Monitor tab, make sure that the correct monitor is selected. If it isn't, use the Change button to select the correct monitor.

If your monitor is capable of higher resolutions, you should get the choice to change the resolution back on the Settings window when the correct monitor is specified.

Gongoozler 10:01 22 Jul 03

Hi Rustyremi. Either your graphics card driver has got changed or corrupted, or more likely there is a program running that is changing the settings. You don't say what version of Windows you are running, but in Windows 98, first check that your computer has the right graphice driver. (right click on the desktop, select Properties - Settings - Advanced - Adapter, and check that the correct graphics card is shown.

If that doesn't help, then go to Start - Run, then in the Open window type msconfig, then in the window that opens, click Startup, and see if there is a program in the list that shouldn't be there.

If that doesn't help, download AdAware from click here. Install it, then click on "Check for updates now" to get the latest spyware definitions, then run a spyware scan. Be prepared for the scan to take about 20 minutes and to appear to stall occasionally - this is it's normal behaviour, then remove any spyware it finds.

Wes Tam ;-) 10:11 22 Jul 03

Rustyremi1

re my previous suggestion - on the Monitor tab, click Change (top right) and follow all the prompts until completion.

Sometimes Windows gets confused and thinks you have a different monitor. When that happens, it won't allow you change the settings. Doing This will search for the best driver (software) for your current monitor and install it.

Rustyremi 09:01 31 Jul 03

Rustyremi would like to thank everybody who responded to my monitor problem, sorry I have not replied sooner but been called out to work and only just got back.
Will try all your suggestions today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…