Display Settings

Hi all

Just acquired an old VIA/Cyrix 150 for the kids to play around with

It’s got a gemlight motherboard with onboard sound and graphics and 60 MB EDO memory, CTX monitor max res 1280x1024

Problem is that I am unable to set the display above 640x480 in the display properties box
Oh and it’s running Windows ME

Anybody ?

ventanas 15:30 17 Mar 04

Sounds like you don't have the correct drivers installed for your graphics. How many colours will it let you display? Also the resolution you state it will support is quite high for an old machine.

Rigga 15:34 17 Mar 04

agree with Ventanas, about the driver.. you should update to the latest driver for your onboard graphics.

You can maybe also check in the BIOS to see if you can change the amount of system memory the onboard graphics can use.

Altough I doubt you'll be able to get it up to 1280x1024, you should be able to get it up to SVGA res, which is 800x600, and maybe even 1024x768 with reduce colours.

ventanas 15:37 17 Mar 04

Just had a thought. 60mb ram is not a normal amount. I suspect that the system has 64mb, and that 4mb is used by the graphics. If so this will probably let you go to 1024 x 768 at 24bit. I wait to be corrected on this.

However you will still need the correct driver. What does Device Manager say about the graphics adaptor?

ventanas 15:38 17 Mar 04

Sorry, you got there before me with the memory.

woodchip 16:13 17 Mar 04

You could try the monitor settings as this also can affect the RES. Right click on Desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor/Change/Next/Display a List of all the drivers THEN click on Generic SVGA monitor 1280x1024 click Apply OK exit and restart comp then try changing the resolution

Sorry for the delay in replying not all down to me

Ventanas and Rigga

Now have correct drivers sis 5597/5598 from sis.com
Yes 4mb for graphics, adjustments are available in the Bios but 4mb is the max

Just done that now got correct driver for monitor thanks ctx 1569se

Device manager states all ok other than a problem with “Quartz Video Capture” must be something on board the motherboard by the way it’s a Gemlight (GMB-P57SAX V0)

That info is from SiSoft Sandra I’m not that clever

Now I am able to select a different res but pc crashes on reboot,
have removed “Quartz Video Capture” in device manager but still crashes on bootup

ventanas 12:34 19 Mar 04

Can you get into the machine at all? Does it crash evry time, or is it possible it is booting up, but with no picture on screen. This can happen if the resolution is set to one not supported by the monitor.

SANTOS7 12:42 19 Mar 04

Hi WSX i had a similer problem to you a while ago
i did some searching and to startup ME it takes approx. 60 megs of memory so the rats of you machine will be running on practically fresh air an increase in memory size may be the answer

I’ll check to see if it will take any more memory thanks, would windows 98 take up less memory

Yes can get into machine, yes it crashes every time, yes got a picture but only in 640x480 in 16 colours
I can get into windows via boot options, then just as windows start I get a display warning
“The adaptor type is incorrect or current settings do not work with your hardware”
can get passed that and it loads windows but in 640x480 in 16 colours.
Able to select 800x600 in 256 colours and 1024 x 768 in 256 colours in display properties under the settings tab
Selecting either of the last two settings requires a reboot
And on reboot I get a “Fatal Exception 0D has occurred at 0 32f:00005603”

SANTOS7 13:49 19 Mar 04

WINDOWS 98 is a far more stable operating system than ME
my personnal choise was to launch my ME disc into space as soon as it was possible they shuold have called it (collander) considering the ammount of holes it had in it as you mentioned in your first thread you just aquired it for your kids it may well be the reasons that it was offered are the ones you have mentioned

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…