Display resolution problem

Harry 20:50 14 Jun 03

I use a Vaio laptop that has a 16 inch screen resolution of 1600X1200. I find most of the websites fill just half of the screen. Few sites like Yahoo and google fill the whole screen and it is fantastic browsing at this resolution.
The websites like msn.co.uk just fill half the screen and appear too small.
I have tried reducing the resolution but this causes the contents of the window to spill outside the boundaries of the screen.
What can I do to view these websites to fill the whole screen.

jazzypop 20:55 14 Jun 03

There is nothing you can do from your end - it is up to the web site designer.

Some use relative sizing, that allows the site to fill the browser window. Others use fixed widths - these normally state 'best viewed at 800 x 600', or similar.

It is very difficult to preserve the exact intended layout and look of a site if your site has to reach certain design objectives at both 640x480 and 1600x1280.

Google, for example, has a very simple, clean text-based layout, so it can use a relative or dynamic sizing method. MSN, by contrast, is graphics-intensive and obviously wants to keep the alignment and relative position of the page components consistent.

C'est la vie!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…