Display Properties tabs missing

bebobaloobop 15:51 02 May 05

Yesterday my computer was 'attacked' by 4 viruses causing several problems. I have managed to clean the computer using AVG Antivirus, HijackThis, and Ad-Aware and now everything seems normal. However, several tabs are now missing from Display Properties. The only tabs there available are "Screen Saver" and "Settings". I cannot access them from Control Panel either.

I have seen advice in other forums about using GPEDIT.MSC but this will not open and Windows says "the tool that you requested is not available".

I'm using XP btw.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 02 May 05

Type
sfc /scannow
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

REpair XP
click here

bebobaloobop 16:16 02 May 05

ok, that finished and nothing happened. i guess that means that it worked. So the only way is to do a repair install of windows?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 02 May 05

Xp has nw replaced missing / corrupt system files.
Now see if you can use GPEDIT.MSC

bebobaloobop 16:23 02 May 05

sorry, yes that would be a start wouldn't it!

ok, tried it, still can't use it

keithlik 16:32 02 May 05

Have you tried XPs excellent System Recovery?

bebobaloobop 16:47 02 May 05

that second link solved it.

thank you very much.

If anyone else ever has this problem try this:

Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

If there is a DWoRD Value such "NoDispScrSavPage" with a data value of 1 this will disable the screen saver tab. Change the value to 0 or delete it to see the tab again.

if there is anything else that looks like it is for the other tabs, do the same

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…