Display Properties, Adjusting screen area.

askgreg 20:11 03 Jan 03
  askgreg 20:11 03 Jan 03

Please help a poor ignorant soul, who obviously is missing the most obvious.It's always worked before, but this time only 640*480 pixels is available.
The computer is running Windows 98 sec ed.and I'm using an Ergovision 15" monitor with a Standard PCI Graphics adaptor.There are only two options for color selection 2 and 16.

Many thanks in anticipation.It must be nice to be bright and helpfull.

recap 20:27 03 Jan 03

askgreg, check your device manager to see if there is an exclamation mark against your graphics card. If there is then follow the troubleshooting option for your card. It maybe that you require new drivers for the card?

BRYNIT 20:29 03 Jan 03

Check that you have the correct Graphics card driver selected in Properties/settings/advanced

recap 11:12 04 Jan 03

With reply to your email askgreg, we all feel that way at times.

Remove the card from your system (have the disc for the card ready) restart your computer and Windows should inform you that it has found a new device. Reinstall the cards software.

askgreg 19:59 04 Jan 03

Many thanks Recap for your latest response which I have just read, unfortunately there is no card , it is part of the motherboard. I am fast coming to the conclusion that as a last chance after all the help I have received I will have to do an F disk and reinstall Windows.

PSF 20:03 04 Jan 03

If you have onboard graphics you will have the drivers for them on your motherboard install cd.
Try installing them from there first before you try to re-install.

askgreg 20:51 04 Jan 03

Thanks PSF, I'm about to look around to see if I can find the Drivers you suggest.

Greg Askey

PSF 21:21 04 Jan 03

Do you know what motherboard you have?
Downoad Belarc advisir to see what you have in your system. You can get it from click here

askgreg 22:20 04 Jan 03

Thanks PSF, I have downloaded Belarc as suggested, and come up with the 'Main Board' by First International Computer Inc. PAG2130 PCB 1.x.I have gone back to Device Manager,Display Adapter, and selected 'Update Driver' and pointed it at the provided 'Motherboard Drivers'. These are MSI 6166BX 6166-1 to -5, which don't bear much relation to the motherboard found by 'Belarc'.However the Wizard still tells me that 'The Best Driver is already installed'.

Where to now.? You will be thinking that this block is a real lost cause.

Thanks again.

Djohn 22:34 04 Jan 03

Sounds as though you have a multi choice driver CD If you are not sure which one to choose try one at a time from 6166-1 through to no 5.

From select, *update driver*
Highlight the first one, double click and see if it will install, if not move on to the next one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…