Display program list in multi columns - Win98se2

tiroen 00:15 12 Jan 04

When I start a program from the desktop I see a single column which I have to scroll through to lect the one I want. How do I get a multi column display .

Pesala 00:33 12 Jan 04

Are you talking about the Start Menu? click here

In Windows 98SE, you have to right-click on the taskbar, select properties, advanced, advanced (again), then organise your start menu into folders.

tafoody 01:00 12 Jan 04

i found this, it does work i've just tried it;

Run REGEDIT (Start, Run, REGEDIT).

Find the following key: HKEY_Local_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer.

Within the explorer folder, click the Advanced folder once to select it.

Right-click an unoccupied area in the right-hand pane. Click New, then String Value.

In the name box that appears, type StartMenuScrollPrograms (all one word), then press Enter.

Right-click the name you just created, then click Modify. In the Value Data box, type FALSE, then click OK.

Exit REGEDIT

from click here

tafoody 01:48 12 Jan 04

Pesala, in winME you have the option for scroll or column,

start\settings\taskbar and start menu\advanced\uncheck 'scroll programs'

but not in win98se.

Pesala 10:41 12 Jan 04

Tafoody, My solution doesn't require scroll or columns. One just divides the Programs menu into subdirectories so that no list is to long to fit on the screen.

Your registery hack is fine and may be what the questioner wants, but I reckon it is a better to tidy up the menu. Most programs install loads of trash no one ever uses, like help files, readme files, and uninstall options. One can uninstall from Add/Remove programs, and one can get help from the help menu.

tiroen 20:40 14 Jan 04

Thanks for all suggestions.

I've seen 'the answer' in a recent magazine - last 6 months!

It was simple and effective and it worked. But changes to my OS have undone it and I cannot find the original article.

Still Looking

tafoody 21:18 14 Jan 04

click here and scroll down to "A Scroll-Killer for the Progams Menu"

same registry addition as before, but on another site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…