display problems- graphics card?

Newuser681 10:42 04 Feb 06

I have started getting a lot of garbled display - load up screen has got worse and worse over last few days, log on screen sometimes ok, I'm posting this now with 4 vertical bars running down the screen, under which its difficult to see type. I have set hardware acceleration to zero and it has improved to current state. Safe mode is just as bad. Incidentally, I have never been able to play games on this computer as they crash or set an alarm off. Shall I trot down to pcworld and treat myself to a new graphics card, or is there a possibility it could be something else?

Taw® 10:48 04 Feb 06

I would check the system with another monitor first

Totally-braindead 10:54 04 Feb 06

Initially I would check that the graphics card is installed properly, goto SYSTEM in CONTROL PANEL check theres no exclamation marks and check the display adaptor, make sure it is whatever graphics card you have and not something like standard adaptor. If alls ok there then reinstall the graphics card drivers and look for updates.
For any more advice we will need more info, post back with. Operating system, how much memory you have, graphics card make and model.
You also say that you've never been able to play games on it. Who installed the operating system? Are you sure that the motherboard drivers were installed after windows was installed, if not reinstall the motherboard drivers before you reinstall the graphics card drivers.
Theres no point buying a new graphics card if this is not whats wrong, you'd be better finding out whats faulty before splashing out any cash.

Totally-braindead 10:56 04 Feb 06

Just reading Taw®s posting also make/model of monitor and make sure that is listed correctly under SYSTEM and what resolution are you running at.

rods 11:20 04 Feb 06

Hi Mate,

If i was you i would (if you can) try your current graphic card in a mates computer, see if it has the same images you describe, if so you know its the card..and ps do not go to pc world to buy a card, there overpriced and to be fair not good cards in there.

Your best off to get one off the internet, some where like click here

If card is ok on another computer then uninstall your drivers for the card, and download the correct one and upto date drivers for it.

Good Luck

Newuser681 12:58 04 Feb 06

Tried monitor - not that, tried old graphics card which worked - problem disappeared, but also lost some of functionality! Unfortunately faulty? card (ATI Radeon 9800 All in Wonder), will not work in my other computer as it needs seperate connection to power supply, and I dont have the facilities to do that. Motherboard I have is Leadtek WinFast K7ncr18, Monitor - Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920, Windows XP and 1024MB Ram. Have put original card back in for now, and am struggling through - currently have dots all over screen instead of lines, also cannot change resolution from 640 x 780 - help! Its a Carrera system Totally-braindead, they installed the OS and the instructions did say all neccessary software had been installed, but it was a replacement for a non-functioning system and I'm pretty sure this one was dropped in transit, so who knows!
Thanks for all your suggestions, will now try a new card - seems to need that anyhow, and just hope motherboard is not on the blink also! - will let you know.

rods 15:03 05 Feb 06

How do you mean 'lost some of its functuality'?

When you put the old card in did you remove the drivers before installing new drivers, else you will have corruption.

The 9800 is a good card, i used to have one and yes you need a power cable coming from your power supply to connect to the 9800.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…