Display problems

TimCDC 10:01 25 Aug 05

My monitor has developed a kind of flicker where it goes blank for about half a second and then redraws, but often freezes after redrawing. Sometimes the screen completely locks up and the only way I can carry on is with a hard reboot. If it doesn't lock up, the problem can often be solved by just restarting. I've run the display troubleshooter, which has led me to disable hardware acceleration which actually solves the problem, but now means my lads can't play their games. I guess I'm wondering, why might this have happened now, and is there anythign less drastic I can do. I don't know if its a coincidence, but I've noticed that ZoneAlarm has recently been noticing that spoolsubser.exe keeps trying to access the internet. Possibly related? Thanks.

johnnyrocker 10:24 25 Aug 05

might not be much use but you could try reseating graphics card and checking/cleaning contact points on the connectors to monitor.

johnny.

TimCDC 11:00 25 Aug 05

Might an unseated card explain why the system appears to freeze?

gudgulf 11:06 25 Aug 05

If the system works fine with hardware acceleration disabled it is pointing towards a graphics card problem.When reseating the graphics card check that its cooling fan is working as well and that it is not clogged up with fluff

What are the system specs/graphics card model?It might be helpfull to know.

gudgulf 11:07 25 Aug 05

If the system works fine with hardware acceleration disabled it is pointing towards a graphics card problem.When reseating the graphics card check that its cooling fan is working as well and that it is not clogged up with fluff

gudgulf 11:08 25 Aug 05

gudgulf 11:08 25 Aug 05

gudgulf 11:09 25 Aug 05

OOH ERR........I don't know what happened there!

TimCDC 11:15 25 Aug 05

I shall have a look at home tonight re system specs etc. I'm a real novice as far as opening up the box goes, however. How would I know whereabouts the graphics card is, and how would I check the fan is working ok?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…