Display Problems

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh 12:53 02 Dec 04

My Dell inspiron 8600 is running on windows X/p 2000 and when i turned it on this morning the screen just showed loads of dollar signs and was flickering all the time i cant even see what is happening properly but the comp seems to be running fine, as in i can acess programs just cant see which ones. Plz Help

Xevious 13:20 02 Dec 04

reboot...

PA28 14:20 02 Dec 04

Check cable to monitor - even better, try another monitor if you can. If that works then you have your problem. If not, check graphics card seated properly. If you can give us a bit more detail this would help - what exactly is the screen doing and how do you know that you're getting into your software? XP or 2000 - I guess it probably makes little difference in this case!

Xevious 14:32 02 Dec 04

also let us know what you have tried for troubleshooting thus far. did you reboot? has that made a difference? more details plz, just as PA28 suggested

Graham ® 14:48 02 Dec 04

And can we call you 'A' for short?

Graham ® 14:49 02 Dec 04

PS it's a laptop.

Graham ® 14:54 02 Dec 04

It could be the light tube expiring. Try an external monitor.

ACOLYTE 15:02 02 Dec 04

"I Had the funniest thing happening on my shuttle with a TI4800se, it would have dollar signs floating around the screen (looking oddly like something from the matrix) in bios and in the boot up up until XP's drivers took over after that it was OK.
After swapping memory stick after memory stick and running quicktech for system memory I ran the video memory test and the card failed.
Long story short, I swapped the TI4800se for a 9600pro and the matrix went away".

Just read this lol may be it could help.

Graham ® 15:03 02 Dec 04

Here's a picture of one

click here

Poloman69 17:36 02 Dec 04

I saw this guys laptop today, and the moment he boots up, it kinda looks like this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$08*******$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*$$$$$$**$%^&££$%^^$&&&^*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$(&*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You get the general idea.

The thing is is that the laptop is only a few weeks old.

*Rebooting doesn't fix it.
*Using 2nd chance doesn't work, nor safe mode.

When XP does load up, the screen looks like it is in more than better words - screwed, horizontal lines and flickering all over the place, so you can't really see things to select folders etc.

if you try pressing F8 on start up, it kinda looks like this

$$$S$$*&$$A$$$+_)(AFDGF$$$F$$$$$$$****E$$$$M$OD$E
(Safe Mode)

$S$$*E&$$AC$$$O+_)N(DG$C$F$H$$$$A$$**N**E$CE$$$M$
(2nd Chance Restore)

$$N$$*O&$$RM$$$+_)(AFDGF$$$F$$L$$$****E$$$$M$88%$
(Normal Start-up)

So you again can understand the difficulty in actually trying to select anything.

I don't think he's tried an external monitor - i will suggest that tomorrow and see what happens -I kinda agree with graham on this - it looked pretty screwed up to me.

If anyone else has had the same thing happen to them, or if anyone knows why it could be doing this, please reply. Cheers again guys

Poloman69 17:36 02 Dec 04

I saw this guys laptop today, and the moment he boots up, it kinda looks like this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$08*******$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*$$$$$$**$%^&££$%^^$&&&^*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$(&*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You get the general idea.

The thing is is that the laptop is only a few weeks old.

*Rebooting doesn't fix it.
*Using 2nd chance doesn't work, nor safe mode.

When XP does load up, the screen looks like it is in more than better words - screwed, horizontal lines and flickering all over the place, so you can't really see things to select folders etc.

if you try pressing F8 on start up, it kinda looks like this

$$$S$$*&$$A$$$+_)(AFDGF$$$F$$$$$$$****E$$$$M$OD$E
(Safe Mode)

$S$$*E&$$AC$$$O+_)N(DG$C$F$H$$$$A$$**N**E$CE$$$M$
(2nd Chance Restore)

$$N$$*O&$$RM$$$+_)(AFDGF$$$F$$L$$$****E$$$$M$88%$
(Normal Start-up)

So you again can understand the difficulty in actually trying to select anything.

I don't think he's tried an external monitor - i will suggest that tomorrow and see what happens -I kinda agree with graham on this - it looked pretty screwed up to me.

If anyone else has had the same thing happen to them, or if anyone knows why it could be doing this, please reply. Cheers again guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…