DISPLAY PROBLEM AFTER BIOS UPGRADE

I flashed a new AMI BIOS for my ASUS A7N8X-VM mainboard to cater for an upgrade from 512MB to 1GB of memory. I'm pretty positive I used the correct BIOS (for interest the filename was A7N8XVM109.zip, the executable BIOSPAT.exe) Now after the initial BIOS info screen I just get fuzzy lines on my monitor. I can get into CMOS setup in the normal way but cannot boot from a floppy - it doesn't get that far before the sceen goes fuzzy. I have seen some stuff on thew Web about 'VGA problems' being a known issue after BIOS update, but have no idea if that's what's happening in this case or how to solve the problem. Help!!!

User-312386 07:08 04 Aug 06

Please un-zip it and run “BIOSPAT.EXE” directly under pure DOS mode.
Do not use "Aflash.exe" & "EZflash" &"Afudos" to update BIOS.

It says the above

Remove CMOS battery and clear BIOS as per the manual

Flash BIOS in pure dos

I have cleared RTC RAM, including removal of the battery, in line with what the manual says. That made no difference - I got the messgage 'CMOS bad checksum'. I have also bought a new AGP slot video adaptor but that caused the computer simply to freeze. I have done my best with BIOS settings (esp to accommodate the new graphics card). Whatever I do, I can't get past the POST screen, which prevents me getting to an A:\ prompt the re-flashing BIOS. Does anyone have any other ideas? I've seen stuff on the internet about a BIOS flasher. Might that work??

SANTOS7 22:03 04 Aug 06

Why did you update bios for more memory when the board will accept up to 2gigs...
you only need to flash bios to accept newer processors bug fixes or larger HDDs and as its not reversable you will probably need to buy a new bios chip for your MOBO

phono 22:12 04 Aug 06

Have a look here click here for some downloads that may be useful.

I would have thought it should be possible to create a bootable floppy disk with a script that will allow a BIOS flash without any VGA display, I will get back to you as soon as I can.

phono 22:20 04 Aug 06

Have a look here for some advice click here

phono 22:28 04 Aug 06

If your floppy drive seems to be working try this:

This is from Klondikekit's Bios info in the monster sticky above. Try this if you see the floppy light come on when you start. Since the A7N8X uses awdflash all you have to do is add the autoexec.bat and the correct bios file.

Worth a try.......

Cold BIOS Recovery
THIS WILL RECOVER YOU AUTOMATICALLY ASSUMING THE FLOPPY IS RECOGNIZED AND THE SYSTEM WILL BOOT EVEN IF THE VIDEO AND HD ARE DEAD.

BOOT BLOCK FLASH:

A cold flash BIOS procedure (recovery)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The procedure you undoubtedly all heard about, worked on older motherboards with AWARD BIOSes which contained a boot block that is not erased/programmed during a flash (remember those little red sectors when you flashed the last time?). This version Award BIOS also contains support for ISA VGA cards to help one in the recovery process (PCI/AGP cards won't work as their I/O code is too big to fit the small size of the boot block hence they're not loaded). However since there's no ISA on this motherboard you'll have to try the procedure blind. Nice prospect eh?

Here we go:

1. Create a boot floppy and copy awdflash.exe and the bios file you wish to try to load.

2. Create an autoexec.bat file in notepad (save the notepad file with a .bat extension) with the following text:

@echo off
cls
awdflash.exe 'name of the BIOS file.extention' /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /R (without the quotes)

For instance:

@echo off
cls
awdflash.exe a7v1005c.awd /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /R

3. ASUS's flasher doesn't support command switches so download the more general awdflash.exe (as opposed to aflash.exe)

4. Copy the autoexec.bat file you created above to the floppy.

files you should have on the floppy:

BIOS file.
awdflash.exe
autoexec.bat
command.com
drvspaace.bin
io.sys
msdos.sys
5. Disconnect all your devices except the floppy, CPU, RAM, Keyboard. (no Sound, Modem, NIC, HDDs or whatever)

NOTE: #5 ABOVE IS WHAT ENABLES THE BOOT BLOCK RECOVERY SYSTEM..YOU MUST REMOVE EVERYTHING INTERNAL BUT THE VIDEO CARD AND FLOPPY DRIVE. I ALSO SUGGEST YOU RESEAT THE RAM AS WELL BEFORE STARTING. UNPLUG THE TOWER FROM AC POWER FIRST, THEN PLUG BACK IN WHEN READY.

6. Put the floppy in the drive and boot up. You should be able to see some activity on the Floppy Drive's LED. If it just stays there doing nothing it may mean bad news. Nonetheless If you notice activity... get on your knees and start praying. Let it finish and the FDD's light must be off for a few good minutes just to be sure before you reboot. Clear the CMOS and thank God.

brought to you by: Ofeqve from click here and Updated by Klondikekit

As a last resort, you may have to purchase a BIOS EPROM from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac