display problem

spud10 22:14 27 Oct 06

I am having an unusual problem with the graphics card in my Dell Dimension 8300 PC.
If I check the card in the device manger the error message says that there is a problem with the card (Error Code 10) and that there are no drivers installed even though all the drivers for the ATI card are installed.
I bought a new GeForce 6 graphics card and installed this card and everything seemed to be working fine but when I reboot the computer the error message is back and windows has loaded a generic driver instead. If I uninstall the card in the device manager and reinstall the driver the card works properly.
The problem occurred last week when I heard a popping noise from the PC case.
I know now that the problem is not the graphics card as I have replaced it.
Have I blown a chip on the motherboard and can it be repaired or do I have to replace the motherboard.

woodchip 22:23 27 Oct 06

Just for fun, Have a look in the BIOS for display. See if says anything

spud10 22:47 27 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked the bios and the primary video controller is set for AGP which is correct as the graphics card is an AGP type.

woodchip 22:50 27 Oct 06

Have you tried Uninstalling Graphics Adapter in Device Manager then restart Comp, Or try it in Safe Mode

woodchip 22:52 27 Oct 06

Does the Motherboard Have onboard Graphics? other than you AGP card. If it has what does it show In Device Manager

spud10 23:07 27 Oct 06

I have uninstalled the Graphics Adapter in device manager and safe mode.
The Graphics Adapter uninstalls and when I reboot the computer windows detects the Graphics Adapter and will try to install it. If I have the driver cd in the cd drive the drivers will install if I do not install the drivers the computer will start up using a generic windows display driver. When I shutdown the computer and restart I have the same problem and there is a problem with the Graphics Adapter in the device manager.
The motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

kimjhon 00:39 28 Oct 06

You have plugged the monitor into the socket provided by the card ?

spud10 14:30 28 Oct 06

Thanks for the reply, dcdc
I have the monitor plugged into the socket provided by the card. I still have the problem even with the card which was supplied with the pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…