display only runs in safe 640/480 after fdisk

cleggy 17:32 18 Jan 05

I have recently done my first fdisk and all is now well again including lan connection BUT my display will only show 640x480 (safe mode) screen.
My display runs PCI with AGP available but the reinstall hasn't picked this up. Should I do another fdisk and reset to the original Tiny version with win98 and then use my upgrade version of win Me.
OR could it be my graphics card has gone and I need a new one.
The reason for the reset was a wipe out and when safe mode was used it stopped at the grey screen with safe mode in each corner and control;/alt/delete showed nothing was running

thanks

LeadingMNMs 17:34 18 Jan 05

Update the drivers for the graphics card and monitor.

JACMAC 20:34 18 Jan 05

FDISK DOES NOTT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE GRAPHICS CARD STICKING AT 640X480.
FDISK IS JUST A MEANS OF SETIING UP AND PARTITIONING THE DRIVE.

IF YOU DO IT AGAIN THOUGH ENTER FIRST FDISK/MBR

YOU WILL SEE THE HD LIGHT FLASH MOMENTARILY AND THEN NOTHING SEEMS TO HAVE HAPPENED. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT BUT NOW ENTER AGAIN FDISK
THIS WILL START UP THE FDISK PROGRAM WHERE YOU CAN SET UP THE SIZE AND PARTITIONS ETC.

YO THEN HAVE TO FORMAT THE DRIVE AND ANY PARTITIONS AND THEN YOU CAN LOAD WIN98.

WHEN IT STARTS AFTER LOADING IT WILL ALWAYS BE IN 640X480 AND UNLESS WIN98 HAS RECOGNISED YOUR SPECIFIC GRAPHICS CARD YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE THAT.
THIS IS ALL NORMAL AND NOT A FAULT.

YOU NOW NEED THE DRIVERS DISK FOR YOUR PARTICULAR GRAPHICS CARD. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS THEN DO A SEARCH ON GOOGLE FOR THE MODEL OF THE CARD.
THEN DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS.

LOAD THESE AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT SHOULD.

NOTE:- WINDOWS DOES NOT ALWAYS RECOGNISE ALL GRAPHICS CARDS. IF IT DOES YOUR LUCKY IF NOT THEN YOU NEED THE CORRECT DRIVERS.
CHEERS

MACJAC

Mr Mistoffelees 21:20 18 Jan 05

Windows 98/98SE and ME will always default to 640x480 after reinstalling Windows untill you have installed the correct graphics card drivers.

cleggy 10:35 19 Jan 05

thanks to LeadingMNMs,JACMAC,Mr Mistoffelees you have all helped to me to make a move forward again a 'but' my computer is a Tiny circa 1999 and all I can find out about it is that it has a standard pci card plus agp with NO maker indentity, also the reinstall doesn't ask for updated drivers, does this suggest that the card has died and it is running at base spec. Wouls a simple solution be to install a known agp type card with a setup disk.

Thanks for all your interest and help
Cleggy

pj123 11:12 19 Jan 05

Download Belarc Advisor free from click here

Install and run it and it will tell you what your graphics card is. You can then go to somewhere like Driverguide and download the drivers for it.

cleggy 13:25 19 Jan 05

Hi pj123, yep done that Belarc says:-
display Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
[Display adapter]
Panasonic 15.7 [monitir] (15.7" vis, Dec 1998.

I said I have had the machine a while but this is the first time it has given any probs.

Cleggy

pj123 16:08 19 Jan 05

That doesn't look right to me. For example Belarc reports my Graphics as: SiS 630/730 Display Adapter.

Maybe your best bet would be to remove any graphics cards you have and install a completely new one that comes with the drivers, but you would still (probably) have to update them after installation.

FelixTCat 16:18 19 Jan 05

Cleggy,

Take out you graphics card and look at it. Normally you will find the name of the graphics chip either printed on its mothrboard or on the chips. It is most likely either nVidia or Ati.

Download drivers from either the Ati or nVidia websites as appropriate. If all else fails, download drivers from both and try to install them. The wrong drivers will usually not install, telling you they cannot find a card.

cleggy 17:25 19 Jan 05

thanks again for all our help pj123 you are getting to the same conclusion as me cos I haven't been able to find any info on the card at all.FelixTCat I believe it is a PCI card what ever that is, when I take the card out there is just one slot in the contacts part the chips on the card say Elite MT but it doesn't give any indication as to the manufacturer.
The simplest solution seems to be a new card with drivers.
Alternatively to do another fdisk and instead of Win Me go right back to the beginning and use the Tiny Computers restore pack and Win98 then if all iswell upgrade to Win Me.

Thanks again

ACOLYTE 17:35 19 Jan 05

Belarc will only tell you the card make/name if the drivers are installed if the standerd VGA drier is installed then thats what belarc will see the card as.Do you know the make model of the pc you may be able to get a driver from
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…