Display has been disabled

sarahslinky 12:10 08 Oct 06

I hope someone can help! I have disabled the display on my mums laptop. The laptop still boots windows and i can hear it starting up but theres no display. I have tried booting it from the last known good saved settings and have tried linking it to an external monitor but nothing has worked. I rang the helpline & they said i neeeded to totally restore windows which would mean loosing all music and pics etc that are stored on C drive. Does any1 have any suggestions on how to fix the problem without loosing all data or even how to transfer everything to another hard drive. Please help.

AndySD 12:16 08 Oct 06

What is the make and model of the laptop

sarahslinky 12:20 08 Oct 06

its an Acer, cant remember the model as im at work at the mo and i have'nt got it with me

sarahslinky 12:23 08 Oct 06

Its an Acer Aspire, jus remembered

gudgulf 12:38 08 Oct 06

Instead of Last Known Good boot into "Enable vga mode".It's listed in the menu where Safe Mode and LastKnown Good are found.

That will boot Windows normally but use the Windows vga drivers.That is it bypasses the normal display drivers/settings and should let you access the display controls in Device Manager so you can reenable the display.

sarahslinky 12:41 08 Oct 06

Ive tried the VGA bit and that doesnt work either. It goes to scan the c drive as it has not been shut down properly, after it scans the drive, i can hear windows loading up but it stays on the scandisk screen!!

gudgulf 12:45 08 Oct 06

What version of windows is on the laptop?

sarahslinky 12:46 08 Oct 06

windows xp home edition

sarahslinky 13:03 08 Oct 06

Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:11 08 Oct 06

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

sarahslinky 13:13 08 Oct 06

Thanks, ill give it a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…