Display Driver stops Responding ??

Petesilver 21:51 31 Mar 11

Please can anyone advise on the following message I get sometimes.....
"Display Driver AMDKMDAP stopped responding and has successfully recovered "

When it happens it it only for a few seconds, it does not happen all the time on checking it has happened about a dozen times this year, I am not aware I am doing anything unusal when it goes and as thois is a fairly new Desktop I have always kept it updated including the display driver for the graphics card which is ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series.
The PC details are...
Windows 7 64bit AMD phenom II 945 quad core 8gb ram

it just a bit worryingI have looked for answers but I cannot find any
Regards

citadel 21:55 31 Mar 11

I think everyone gets it, nvidia drivers do the same, just a minor glitch.

Petesilver 21:19 02 Apr 11

seems a bit odd as I have never had it happen before on windows 98 or XP.....................

Proclaimer 07:55 03 Apr 11

You must have Win7 then. This is Windows stopping BSOD when your Graphics Driver has a hiccup. Check you have the Latest Driver for the Card and Chipset Driver for the Mainboard.

If those are up to date then it could be the GPU is overheating or not getting enough power. Is it new?

If not that, then keep a record of what you were doing when you get the error and see if a pattern develops.

Petesilver 16:15 03 Apr 11

Proclaimer Thanks for your reply yes Windows 7 64bit AMD phenom II 945 quad core 8gb ram.
and it it fairly new about ten months.
as far as I can find out all drivers are up to date
I will try and do what you suggest and keep a record when it happens.
Funny thing was it happened while I was reading your message and I was not aware I was doing anything to cause it, and I can never replicate anything to make it happen.

Petesilver 13:33 19 Sep 11

I am still getting the same problem this is the error report................

Source Windows

Summary Video hardware error

Date ?16/?09/?2011 18:15

Status Not reported

Description A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem WD-20110916-1814.dmp sysdata.xml WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem BCCode: 117 BCP1: FFFFFA800A6E8010 BCP2: FFFFF8800454445C BCP3: 0000000000000000 BCP4: 0000000000000000 OS Version: 617601 Service Pack: 1_0 Product: 768_1

Can anyone put me on the right track to cure it ????? Regards

gengiscant 15:15 19 Sep 11

A bit of reading for you:GPU error

mooly 20:01 19 Sep 11

Quote "I think everyone gets it, nvidia drivers do the same, just a minor glitch."

I used to have this problem with my Acer laptop (Vista) and its Nvidia 6100 graphics. It was an annoyance, not just a minor glitch because although it recovered the graphics on things like Chess titans (I know I know... it's the only "gaming" I do :)) were jerky until you rebooted.

Tried many so called fixes but the only thing that worked 100% was to go for a much later graphics driver (and modified .inf file so it would install) from laptopvideotogo.

So to Petesilvers' problem, well I suspect that yours too will be a driver issue although I don't know where you would go for later ones.

Are there any forums specific to your make of PC where you could ask ?

Petesilver 21:53 19 Sep 11

Thank you "mooly" it seems that I am stuck with it. Yes There is a forum as it is a Mesh PC although they are now defunct the forum still operates and I have tried the forum but all I get is the same, upgrade Driver, which I have but it still happens pointers to other websites but nobody seems to be able to come up with an answer. to me the problem should be solved by either Microsoft or the graphic card makers something is causing it but they don't seem to care as far as I can ascertain.

There is one thing that perhaps you can help me ??? if I changed the graphics card for a better and a more up to date card would this solve the problem??

mooly 08:27 20 Sep 11

Changing the graphics card may or may not fix the problem. This is a "software/driver" issue really. It seems to affect a lot of combinations of hardware.

I had a quick look for Radeon drivers but couldn't turn much up.

I asked about mine (NVidia) on a specific Acer forum (Acer laptop) and could never have solved the issue on my own. There are literally hundreds... well 140 pages of 20 drivers on each... of drivers to choose from, and it was only due to the fact that many had been tested and benchmarked by the forum that they were able to point me to the most suitable. And to get any driver that isn't certified or listed as suitable means adding an updated .inf file which contains all the information the set up procedure needs. Easy once it's explained to you but I would never have known what to do on my own.

Microsoft drivers tend to be really out of date for such things as graphics drivers.

Although this is Nvidia related it will give some insight into installing different drivers, http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/8128-what-is-a-modded-inf-what-is-the-performance-and-quality-inf/pagepid22241#entry22241

I have a hazy recollection that you can also "force" a driver onto your PC using this method. This will show drivers that Microsoft list although some or non may actually install in the end. The only way to know is to try... if it's not suitable it won't let you use it. http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/11997-have-disk-method-for-windows-7-vista/

Forget the inf bit and just procede as if you were updating the driver normally.

In the screen shot where it says "Update driver software- standard VGA adapter" there is a small tick box "show compatible hardware". Untick this and see what is listed. You may find one of the drivers shown works... it's a case of trying them.

Going off memory for all that... and as always make at least a restore point before trying all this and if possible a backup image so you can play around without worry.

Petesilver 21:00 20 Sep 11

Thanks 'mooly' for all your help and information its much appreciated. Be assured I always have a few backups as I use Acronis True Image so if anything goes wrong I'm covered... Thanks again Petesilver

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple