display driver has stopped responding and has now been resolved

andy63walsh 13:53 PM 14 Jan 13

Hi, now and then i get a message saying ....display driver has stopped responding and has now been resolved, any ideas?

Chronos the 2nd 14:26 PM 14 Jan 13

A few more details would be useful. Make/model of graphics card or make/model of PC. Operating system. When was the last time you updated your graphic card drivers?

Do you use your PC for gaming? If so what type of games?

andy63walsh 14:44 PM 14 Jan 13

it says ati radeon family has stopped. I'm on windows 7, don't use it for gaming. I have two small screens on it though, one is just looped playing a basic video all the time (it has been running no problem up till now)

Chronos the 2nd 14:48 PM 14 Jan 13

What about drivers,when did you last update them? If you can tell me make and model of PC I'll find out what GPU you have.

andy63walsh 15:06 PM 14 Jan 13

we have a dell vostro 1000, i will look for the drivers now.

Chronos the 2nd 15:26 PM 14 Jan 13

Is it a laptop?

andy63walsh 16:00 PM 14 Jan 13

yes laptop

Chronos the 2nd 17:04 PM 14 Jan 13

Ah,that makes a difference than if it was a desktop.That is why it is important to supply as much info as you can in your opening thread.

I am a desktop man and know little of laptops. But you say it was running fine and the problem has just begun. If it were a desktop I would say check fans for dust and update driver but with a laptop I have no idea, sorry.

Ian in Northampton 18:05 PM 14 Jan 13

FWIW, my son runs a GTX560 (i.e. NVIDIA rather than ATI/AMD), and sees this occasionally also. It is sufficiently momentary in nature that we've never tried to fix it: he suspects it is application-dependent (i.e. it just happens at certain times in the games he plays).

Number six 22:38 PM 14 Jan 13

This is a fairly common problem with AMD Radeon graphics. A driver update often cures, if not some more ideas here:

AMD Radeon

andy63walsh 14:38 PM 16 Jan 13

I updated the driver, now the laptop has died, keeps trying to start up and reboots constantly. I can get into safe mode, but not sure what to do next.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…